1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Five Issues for the Auto Industry in 2006

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by tag, Dec 23, 2005.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

Five Issues for 2006

By Joseph B. White
    The Wall Street Journal Online

This year and next will offer a live-action test of whether American consumers are prepared to vote with their wallets in a big way in favor of more-efficient cars and trucks. Toyota plans to start ramping up production of gas-electric hybrid Camry sedans, aiming to sell 30,000 or so. Ford will be pushing ahead with plans to expand its hybrid lineup, and GM by late 2007 is expected to launch gas-electric versions of its large SUVs. In the interim, GM plans to offer a version of the Saturn Vue with a so-called "mild hybrid" system that improves fuel economy by 15% to 20%.

The big question for 2006: Will hybrids that look like ordinary cars start to sell? Or are hybrids a niche -- a status symbol for people who want the world to know that they are technology-forward Greens?

The Toyota Prius, which advertises itself as a high-tech marvel with its distinctive design, has been a sell-out smash. But certain other hybrids, notably the gas-electric Honda Accord, have been comparatively sluggish sellers.

"The next two years will be interesting," says GM's Mr. Wagoner. "More people will have more sizes and shapes of hybrids."

LINK: http://biz.yahoo.com/special/autoindustry05_article1.html

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Also, note:

Third, North American marketing chief Mark LaNeve says he's ready to go on the offensive in the large-SUV market, with ads that will call out Toyota for selling a large SUV with worse gas mileage than the new Tahoe.....

Goooood strategy. :rolleyes:

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I may be wrong, but I think it will turn into a frenzy, esp if gas prices go up.. but even if they don't.. no one likes paying extra for gas for years and years......

As other manufacturers start coming out with "decent hybrids", they will feed off of each other to enhance credibility. Customers will start seeing and believing they are ok if so many are doing it! They will start to wonder what thier missing?

JMO "just my opinion"

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like their desparate.

"Second, GM executives expect that during the first part of 2006, they'll be building and shipping a lot of their new, large SUVS, such as the re-engineered and restyled Escalade and Chevy Tahoe. That should be a lot better for the bottom line than slashing production."

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was truly disgusted by a new Toyota ad I saw. On the left there was a street sign that said "SMALLER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" and on the right 3/4 of the spread was a bloated looking RAV with the headline "The all new, bigger Rav4".

Toyota's a big company. Looks like one side doesn't know what the other side is saying.
    :huh:

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not good.

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like they want to be all things to all people....

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

and why were you disgusted actually? By the fact that new, bigger Rav4, has better mpg while being bigger and more powerful? Or by the fact engine is cleaner? I bet it wasnt either of those... :D