1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fix for Sirius Static

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GeoGeek, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Otto @ Jul 28 2006, 10:21 PM) [snapback]294130[/snapback]</div>
    I only have a plug'n'play Sirius, but it sounds like switching to a magnetic antenna would be the first thing to try. I have my magnetic antenna hiding under my sharkfin antenna. I hope to put my installation with pictures on here as soon as I have a few quite moments. Hopefully I'll have them ready in a couple days.

To answer your question, you might want to ask the dealer where they installed it. Or you can do a search for satellite radio installation guides (Sirius or XM) and they might give you some places to start looking in the meantime.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Jun 11 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]269495[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I would have figured, something like that.
    That shouldn't affect other input sources though, for the better or worse.

3. Peter_C

Peter_C Junior Member

Well thank you very much for making my investment in Sirius perform properly. I checked back in this forum specifically looking for the fix knowing it would come at some time. I had started a post here months ago, and many other were having the same issue.

I used the connecters listed above from Radio Shack and they worked well enough. Soldered the wires up then proceeded to install them. After reconnecting the harness and turning the unit back on it defaulted to station 184. By simply changing the station manually I was able to dial in anything I wanted, and reprogram my favorite channels. No need to call Sirius to re-initialize.

Thanks again!

4. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

Just wondering if someone would please repost the PDF file attached to the first post in this thread. The link to it is now broken.

:(

5. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BMcGraw @ Aug 28 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]310936[/snapback]</div>
    Don't know what happened....here it is again.
    Enjoy,
    Matt

Attached Files:

6. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Do owners of an '04 benefit from this static fix? Or is this problem not apparent in that model year? Thanks.

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luiset83 @ Aug 29 2006, 05:56 PM) [snapback]311310[/snapback]</div>
    I am told by Jon (at Factory Interactive) that the fix also improves sound quality on
    2004 & 2005 model year Prii; although I can only vouch personally for the result on the 2006.
    Regards,
    Matt

8. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Aug 29 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]311336[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that! I just finished installing the Sirius tuner/fit kit w/ the help of Jon's DVD... I did the static fix before I even initially plugged it in and I could listen to the CNN + comedy stations just fine, and I heard no static. :) The only thing I noticed was that the volume level is lacking in contrast to the FM radio... (e.g. I have to put the volume on 40 to get roughly the same level as I do for the radio on 30-35 or so) Maybe my ears are just misbehaving... anyone else experience this?

9. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

Be sure to secure this fix tightly. I had mine jiggle loose on me. I noticed static on my right channel, re-secured the fix and now it's all good.

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought my SiriusPrius about a month ago and just got around to the installation (THANK YOU v8cobrakid!). Turns out the unit Jon @ Factory Interactive sent me already had the fix done.

It's FANTASTIC! The dog and I are sleeping in the car when the computer-feed stations just aren't enough!

WOOO HOOO! Gotta LOVE that MFD! :D

11. lowepw

lowepw New Member

12. blastula

blastula New Member

I bought a new prius package 3 about 3 weeks ago, with pre-installed Sirius radio. i thought the Sirius sounded terrible, and I called the dealer. The dealer sent out a technician, who pulled out the Sirius receiver (which was behind the glove compartment). It turns out that the static fix had already been done. the extra jumpers were in place. According to the technician, Audiovox, who provides the systems for Toyota, figured out the fix and started installing with the fix fairly recently. Problem is, with the fix, the audio decreases in volume, fidelity, and stereo separation. He cut the jumpers so I could hear the difference. Immediately the sound got much better, wider stereo, more treble, more bass, louder. Except there was the famous static or crackle sound that I'd heard so much about. So I had the choice between bad sound and worse sound.

The tech told me that the siruis receivers they use for Prius are approved for Camry/Solara but not prius. And that the 2007's will not have the Sirius option!

Amazing!!

blastula

13. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blastula @ Oct 3 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]327508[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get a better result. In my application I am taking the output from the radio
    and feeding it into a line-output-converter (LOC) which gives me RCA jack (pre-amp line level) outputs which then get fed into an aftermarket amplifier. The aftermarket amp then drives all my mids & highs
    as well as a subwoofer I added. Because of my upgrades, I didn't really get a chance to hear how the fix worked on a stock system. If there is a volume difference, I wouldn't have noticed (with all the adjustable levels in the amp & LOC). I figured that my upgrades, if anything, only emphasized the static issue (pre-fix)....and there was a dramatic improvement post-fix, at least in my system.
    It's still not perfect though, even with my upgrades.....I hear some subtle distortion at low to moderate volume levels....but it's not limited to the Sirius feed....I also get it in AM/FM/CD as well. I chalk it up to imperfections in the output from the factory head unit (although I have yet to test that theory).
    Some here on PC have kicked around the idea of using a factory system integration unit like the Cleansweep by JL Audio or the 3Sixty.2 by Rockford Fosgate to "clean up" the signal before passing it on to other aftermarket components.....I'd be interested to see if that has the desired effect.

Back to the fix issue....I noticed no sacrifices in fidelity, only improvements after making the fix. Check to be sure the correct pins are being "jumpped" and that everything is firmly seated. The dealer should also be working diligently to make you happy. My dealer tried 2 different sat tuners, 2 different antennae, and even tried replacing the head unit before I finally stumbled onto the fix by asking around. My point is, it should be better, not worse. You have the option (which I was considering until I found the fix) of going with the SLS unit offered by Vais.....although very new (and therefore probably not rigoursly tested) I read that it works
    without any issues...and it does preserve all the functionality of the factory option....plus it gives you 16 characters of readout on the display (they claim) versus just 10.
    Good Luck!

14. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Shad,
    Have a look at post number 25 in this Sticky/Thread (it's about 5 posts up from yours).
    At the bottom you will notice an icon with the file name "Sirius_Static_Fix.pdf"
    You should be able to click on that icon and your browser will open it up (using Adobe Acrobat Viewer)
    Good luck!

15. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Oct 3 2006, 05:48 PM) [snapback]327554[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Matt -

The pdf link is busted again. I think I have it printed out - dropping off the car today to start the install.

I am still going back and forth on the OEM integration piece. The combination signal processors still look simple and cost effective.
    I am 99% sure I am going to go with the RF 3sixty.1 - they are selling on eBay for a couple hundred.
    The 3sixty.2 is still at least double that - and I am not sure I need time correction in such a small space. I also cannot justify spending that much more money.

I am going to look around here and see if anyone has some real life experience.

FILM at 11. ;)

Namaste -

Terry

16. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Oct 4 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]327760[/snapback]</div>
    Just a thought.....have you checked in to any of the Audio Control products?
    I've seen several out there at eBay & woofersetc.com.
    I'm now thinking that the three.1 might be a nice way to replace my LOC and
    get some level control over the sub plus some EQ knobs.
    They sell Audio Control at the shop I used to install for and I think I can still
    get the "brother-in-law" discount.
    I've had a few of their items in past stereo systems and was fairly impressed....
    although the RF 3Sixty.2 does look sweet (except for the Palm interface).

Walete,
    Matt

17. lowepw

lowepw New Member

GeoGeek, thanks for your reply and willingness to help. I was able to open the .pdf file. Now I need to access the back of the radio. I've read many comments about removing the dash (for those of us with big hands). Is there a .pdf file for that proceedure too? Thanks...

18. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shad @ Oct 19 2006, 07:52 AM) [snapback]334969[/snapback]</div>
    The best one I've seen to date is Chris Dragon's "Stereo Accessory Install Guide, 04 Prius, v1.03.pdf"
    I've got a copy of it, but have run out of global space here on PriusChat, so I can't attach it here to this reply. If you send me a PM with your email address I can send it to you directly....or you can look
    to see if it's still floating around in some thread here on PC.

Cheers

19. lowepw

lowepw New Member

20. lowepw

lowepw New Member

The static is now gone. I was installing a SIRIUS One SV1 - Sirius satellite radio tuner and heard background static through the speakers. The fix with the pins seen above I found was for a factory installed radio. I called Sirius Radio and complained about the background static. They sent a Wired FM Modulator Relay cable for free. The regular price is $19.99. I had to still remove the dash (see link above) to install the antenna wire. The instructions for removing the dash was for a "04" model but was very accurate for my "06" model. Thanks for all who helped make this possible...