1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fix or Sell 2012 264,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tech0159, Mar 4, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Tech0159

Tech0159 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,

Searched through all of the fix or sell threads and didn't see what I was looking for. Here is my situation. I have a 2012 Prius III with 264,000 miles that started having issues last month. The 'check hybrid system' warning came on and was diagnosed (by a Toyota service department) as a faulty head gasket and failed water pump. I'm no mechanic but I find it odd that I was able to drive the car for 1 week with the failed head gasket and water pump??? Anyway, I paid the $3,000 to get that fixed and all was well for about 1 week before the traction control, ABS and break lights came on and stayed on (braked were also notably less responsive). Toyota diagnosed this as a leaking master cylinder and break actuator. I had this checked at another auto repair place and they confirmed what Toyota said. So now, two weeks after spending $3,000...my Prius needs another $2,500 worth of work. My concern is that with 264,000 miles, something else (battery?) is also waiting to fail. From what I have read, with 264,000 miles my hybrid system is running on borrowed time. So my dilemma - keep fixing the problems or buy a new Prius? If it were 2018, I'd just buy a new Prius but as things are now, they are extremely hard to get and way over priced. Any thoughts on what you would do would be appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tough decision on your part, but this is the same decision everyone will make once a car is over 10 years old. The components that are failing are very common on the 3rd Gen Prius at the mileage and age. I would say if you put aside another $5000 (brake and battery cost), you should be good for a little while (for the big expensive repairs). Total you would be spending to keep the car will be around $8000.

But if you get a new hybrid, many car dealers are charging $5000 markup for just fluff. You don't get anything for it. So you can pay $5000 for fluff or put it towards your old car and keep it running a little longer, until the new car market cools

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you do keep and fix it, get the EGR and intake manifold cleaned out ASAP, to avoid blowing another head gasket in short order. See first two links in my signature. Dealerships are not willing/capable to do this cleaning, will $oak you with parts replacement. There's a few places 'round the States that will, and/or maybe a capable Priuschat member nearby who can help out.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pretty standard for gen3 Prius. There is no doubt you will have the hybrid battery next assuming it was not otherwise changed in the last 100k miles.

The brake booster was covered by Toyota for ten years 150k miles. It is a safety issue and would be worth it just for the increased resale value.

Hopefully the headgasket job has a decent warranty. Maybe a year or better. A short 90 day warranty might sway my decision.

Your choices are fix it and then sell or fix it and be ready for another $2500 for the battery at anytime. Not repairing the brake booster may cost $5k in lost resale value.

To keep or sell? A lot depends on the condition of the rest of the car, the head gasket warranty and your willingness to pick up new car payments from $700-$1000 a month for perhaps four years. In our area new cars are available; you just have to take something that is on its way rather than pick your color, model and option.

#4 rjparker, Mar 4, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That odd miracle of driving usually leads to permanent overheat engine damage.

CR94 likes this.