1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fix those little slick radio knobs cheap

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mrproduxn, Apr 18, 2017.

1. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    You could always buy some stick on knobs :rolleyes:

bisco, alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2017-4-26_11-26-48.png

bisco, RCO, kithmo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine just arrived. Here's my full-ish review.

TLDR/ They make the stock knobs the way they should have been from the factory. Buy these while you can.

Mini-review:
    Better than O-rings or rubber bands.
    IMHO, the way they should have been part of the basic design for safety reasons.
    They are nearly a must-have if you operate the radio with gloves on.
    They are...well-optimized
    Would Buy Again.

Some snaps: please forgive the crap, potato-quality photos, these were rushed and taken in poor light.

Stock knob, with O-ring solution I'd been using (R-17 for those interested): These work pretty well, and help when using gloves. They're effective and cheap, but their tactile feel isn't great to me;
    upload_2017-4-25_18-20-27.png

New knob ring: Yes, they are tapered, and have a small groove on the inside circumference of the 'fat' part of the taper. I thought the included tag was a thoughtful reminder, nice touch.
    upload_2017-4-25_18-21-19.png

New knob ring, on dash: The contrast is exaggerated somehow in this shot. They aren't as 'contrasty' as they appear here.
    upload_2017-4-25_18-22-15.png

To the hand, their texture is soft-touch and almost 'foam-like'. I found that they made dialing in the desired volume or channel a breeze, as they move your fingers away from the touch screen like they should be for knob-twisting. The added knob-radius is just right too, gives you finer control for volume overall, and while it might be confirmation bias, I noticed it made it noticeably easier to find and adjust the volume 'at a grab' without looking. This was after a 3 minute drive to the quik-mart as a test drive, but you can tell once on the road. They never bottomed out and kept in place better than my o-rings did for sure. I think the inside groove makes the difference in this aspect.

Conclusion: In my experience so far, everything about these is optimal for purpose. I love 'em.

Thank you for making these!
    -SP

#23 Scuderia Priusi, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  4. mrproduxn

mrproduxn New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the kind words. I am glad you are happy with them. I tried several fixes to this radio knob issue and, thus far, this has been the most economical and functional fix that I could come up with. I only wish that Home Depot or Lowes sold this so we could just pick them up close to home. This is still a simple hobby for me and I will make them as long as someone wants them. It's funny that something so simple has such an impact on the basic operation of a car radio. I still maintain that Toyota dropped the ball on this particular knob design. I also shared this with my Tacoma brothers and some of them bought more for their family Sienna vans. My daughter then discovered the same on the Prius thus I posted here. Thank you for sharing your pictures. It is strange how they look gray in pictures. I am looking at one in front of me that looks black as night. Camera eye trickery. I am glad to share this.

#24 mrproduxn, Apr 25, 2017
    Rpowers47 and RCO like this.
  5. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know, it's weird isn't it? They are much darker and blend in almost perfectly when viewed directly, in-person. FWIW regardless of photogenics, I think you nailed the texture on the mark. The fact that they protrude proud from the face of the stock knob is part of their ergonomic enhancement as well.

#25 Scuderia Priusi, Apr 25, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  6. mrproduxn

mrproduxn New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did experiment with different lengths to find the sweet spot. Cosmetically they look better 1/16" shorter. I found that the current length works best for me. One of the biggest disadvantages of the stock knob is the short length which draws your fingers to the touch screen and the unintentional long winded phone call to Mom whom I love dearly. I just don't anticipate a phone conversation every time I adjust my volume. I did experiment with the texture as well. A smooth finish may look better but the current texture gives it more of a grip that allows adjusting the volume with one finger.

Rpowers47 and RCO like this.
  7. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for doing the iterations to get it right. IMHO, this is a simple & subtle yet very effective mod, possibly the best mod you can make to a gen 4 for under $10!

8. Rpowers47

Rpowers47 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I ordered them on Monday.

RCO likes this.
  9. mrproduxn

mrproduxn New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to update the knob grip details. Due to new protective packaging, paypal fees and new order tracking using usps first class delivery, the cost is fixed at $9 per pair delivered. Delivery is now 2-3 business days coast to coast. Only accept orders through paypal. No longer accepting mail orders. Now are made to order only. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Mrcode79, RCO and krmcg like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they come?