1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fix your refrigerator:

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by edthefox5, Jun 8, 2011.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The back of my fridge has no coils, and the side is warm. Do some fridges dissipate their heat differently than others?

I don't have air conditioning either, and no furnace filter because the heat is hydronic. So, those parts were easy to check. ;)

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Modern refirigs have a very dense coil pack and need a fan right on them unlike the old style that was a huge coil that pretty much spanned the entire backside.
    New condensers are a very dense 8 x 8 x 8 brick. So dense a dedicated fan focused right on them to cool them.
    They get clogged on the inside coil area very easily and its important to clean the internal clogs as thats where the exchange heat will build up. Surface dust cleaning does little but I applaud your efforts.
    But try to hit it with some some compressed air. You did the hard part you took it aprt. Maybe borrow a neighbors if you don't have one. It will add years to the life of that box.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah Zenith Trans-Oceanic. Best radio's ever.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a curious response. Care to elaborate? :rolleyes:

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If there are no exposed coils, there is a cover over them. It should be removed and the then exposed area vacuumed. Also, clean out from beneath the fridge, as that is where the air circulation is pulled from.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The back is spot welded to the rest of the enclosure. Maybe the coils are on the bottom? Still, the side is warm enough that I suspect that's how it's cooled. It's an 'all-fridge' model with no freezer, so perhaps it's designed differently.

edit: Aha! Under the little water tray at the bottom. Sneaky. We pull the fridge out to vacuum underneath every once in awhile, so the coils really weren't very dirty.

8. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This almost deserves a place in the environmental discussion. I used a Kill-a-Watt power monitor to measure the effect of vacuuming the dust bunnies out from my frig's coils. It reduced power consumption 10 percent!

You can save a lot more money on older refer's by modifying the defrost circuit. Makes them about as efficient as modern "energy-star" appliances (whatever that label really means). I probably wouldn't try this in a high-humidity environment, though.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something else to improve your fridge's efficiency is to leave lots of air space around it. Too many people push them right in to the wall, and pile too much stuff on top. Worse, there's often a cabinet above the fridge - the more air circulation, the better.

More insulation helps, too. I once glued slabs of pink foam all over ours, and it hardly ever ran. The off-gassing from the styrofoam probably isn't very healthy, though. Cork would be better, and nicer to look at.

10. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Just a FYI for older fridges....apparently the coils aren't always in back. Me and a friend homebrew beers together. I just bought a new chest freezer to be able to make lagers. He was able to score a free old Kenmore fridge as long as we hauled it away. It had worked "well" for the original owner, but when we tried setting it up, it wasn't doing anything. After mentioning just reading this thread, we opened the only cover that was accessible: which was in the bottom back (which exposed the fan and compressor. We found that the fan had been blocked with a wire. After that, we found that the hair/dustball layer that held the coils were actually underneath the fridge: Once we got the fan going and cleaned it all out, we could suddenly feel airflow going all throughout the underside of the fridge....and it quickly dropped to refridgerator temps.

So thank you for the thread...and a bump to confirm how important it is to keep those coils clean!

11. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right, that's why I need to go out for some kind of brush. I can see that the coils are still packed with dust. I have a compressor, but I'd rather try the brush first to prevent an early death when my wife finds out I coated the kitchen in filth. She has a sense of humor but that would be pushing it. :D

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same for new fridges. We've updated a couple of things since 1939. ;)

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You did try the vacuum brush, right? The little round one works well. :)

14. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two more fun fridge facts to know and tell. Fridges run much more efficiently when they are full. (not chock-a-block full as hyo suggests). The more mass that is cold in the fridge, the easier it is too keep it cold. Air has little mass, and takes a lot of energy to keep it cold. We keep several water jugs in the fridge just to add mass.

Second, modern small freezers use the side of the case to cool the condenser, instead of conventional coils, so these freezers need air space around them. If your fridge feels warm on the side, I suspect it is using the same type system.

Icarus

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. I don't recall saying anything about keeping the fridge full, but that's a good point. Maybe you were thinking 'chock a block full' when I mentioned 'beer fridge'? :rolleyes:

Ah, that must be it. Would a freezerless fridge use a small coil, and a radiant case?

16. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your correct HYo, I misread you post about having air around the fridge. The point is' you also want some air to circulate inside as well,, but keep it filled with mass!

A little freezer less fridge might indeed use the case to radiate heat.

Icarus

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, it's a big freezer-less fridge; half of a stand-up freezer and fridge set. There's a small chest-style freezer in the basement, where it's much cooler and hopefully more efficient.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How prophetic. I didn't get to mine in time, it died during lunch today. I wasn't home, but a sudden grinding noise caught the attention of the spouse and all the cats.

Purchased in 1989, it has a horizontal layer of coils along the entire underside. These were cleaned every year or two, and were adequately clean today. But upon disassembly, sliding the compressor tray / fan / coil assembly out the back, I found another short row of coils, vertically oriented, in front of the compressor and fan. These coils, and therefore the fan, were at least 95% blocked. Unfortunately, they were not visible or accessible to the vacuum wand during normal cleaning of the larger horizontal coil layer.

An air compressor could have adequately cleared then with simple removal of the back cover, without sliding out the tray, but I lack that tool.

The compressor motor won't start, the thermal overload protection trips within a few seconds of each attempt. I don't know if the failure is motor itself or the starting capacitor. But I've been wanting to replace this with a modern efficient model for the past five years, but never found just the right model. Now we will get a new one regardless.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah there all going to start to complain if there clogged as its getting hot now.
    It could survive for a while in a cool house over the winter.

But you got a good run out of that one for sure. The newer style refrigerator has omitted that type of coil system and its entire condenser coil is now a very dense 8 x 8 x 8 block right nxt to the compressor. The fan blows throught the dense coil pack and on the compressor. Its impossible for a vac brush or wand to get inside that coil pack. It must be blown out.

But on the bright side a new refrigerator one will run much much cheaper but be aware is much less forgiving on coil maintenance.

Good Luck and check coupon sites for discounts on appliances like "Retail me not" etc.

Sometimes you can get a real good deal on Craigs List too.

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ed and I have often talked and posted on the important topic of cleaning coils. Here are some videos that drive the point home

This dad is training his kid to be in a lucrative career

etc a four part series

I have a Kenmore bottom freezer fridge that uses the same fan/coil arrangment Ed discussed. Will try to post photos next time I have to clean it

2 people like this.