1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixed: '12 Prius v (wagon) steering pulls left - SAS or Yaw sensor cal??

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mhagadorn, Jan 4, 2017.

1. mhagadorn

mhagadorn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello all. I just purchased a used 2012 Prius v (wagon) 5 with 83,000 miles on it. It pulls to the left; enough that it will cross the center line of the road within 5 seconds or so if you aren't compensating.

I am a big time DIY guy, and I rarely let a shop touch my vehicles.

I have tried:
    Tire pressure: I have left tires set to 39PSI and right tires set to 36PSI (should pull right, but still pulls left)
    Rotating tires (no affect)
    Checking / adjusting Camber angle (myself - yes I am capable).
    - As purchased: -0.40 degrees Left / -0.45 degrees Right
    - My adjustment: -0.40 degrees Left / -0.25 degrees Right
    - Explanation: The steering should pull toward the more "positive" camber number. After my adjustment, it should pull to the right (still pulls left).
    Checking / adjusting toe-in (total toe is good, but the steering wheel isn't centered - more explanation below)
    Getting alignment measurements from a real shop (it was all in spec, and nearly nominal)

The dealer where I bought the car says alignment isn't covered by the 30 day warranty. I'm on my own. I can pay them $89 for an alignment. I don't like that answer.

All that being said, the steering wheel is slightly off from being centered. The steering wheel wants to sit flat / level, and I need to hold it as if turning right in order to go in a straight line. If I let go of the wheel, the wheel tends to level out and then the car goes left. I have slowly been recentering the wheel with toe adjustment. (Lengthen Left tie rod / shorten Right tie rod).

What I haven't tried: SAS or yaw sensor resets. Has anyone seen these cause steering to pull? Is it true that I can reset these myself by disconnecting the battery?

Other ideas?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Brake drag?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Never even felt a need to have my alignment checked. Brakes dragging? Maybe get somebody to temporarily swap you their wheels/tires to verify no issues? Location always helps in your profile. I would certainly put the tire pressures back for various reasons. I doubt a battery reset would help. Maybe a four wheel alignment to ensure overall tracking.

4. mhagadorn

mhagadorn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The shop I was at yesterday checked 4 wheel alignment and said it was all well within spec
    Not that I have detected. I'll check brake temperatures on my way home from work tonight.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), the four wheel alignment numbers all checked out yesterday. I may try another alignment shop (or continue to hassle the Toyota dealer until they look at it for free).

5. mhagadorn

mhagadorn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So, I finally got this sorted out. It turned out to be the tires. After ruling out the list of other possible issues, I decided to buy another set of tires. I wanted snow tires anyway, so I found some used Camry snows on CL. I actually bought two different sets. All Blizzaks. One set is on steel rims, and one is on gorgeous aftermarket aluminum rims.
    As soon as I put the blizzaks on, the car drove like new. Straight as an arrow.

With the original all season tires, I tried a few tire rotation setups, but not all possibilities (now that I think about it). I put the fronts on the back, and then I swapped left and right fronts. None of that made any difference. I never swapped left and right rear (which were originally on the front).

At any rate, I'm thrilled. Wifey said it is like a new car now.

Sooner Al and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon