1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixed: Catastrophic engine failure after air filter change Code 3190

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TDHill, Aug 17, 2015.

1. TDHill

TDHill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to share in case it helps others:
    Got an oil change on my 2008 Prius at Valvoline and they changed the air filter for me. I get in the car to leave and within 50 yards the red triangle and check engine light are on, and the car seems to have no battery power. I take it back to the shop and while trying to back up to get in, the car refuses to go into Drive, only into Neutral! Complete failure to move! I'm thinking I have to be towed 30 miles to the nearest Toyota dealership. Crazy! But wait...

I did the Auxiliary Battery check process (I keep a card on the instructions in my glove compartment, which include holding down the Display Button while turning the lights on and off 3 times, etc, you can find the instructions here on Prius Chat, but that did not help me because...) it showed the auxiliary battery was down to 11.0 which is too low (I believe its supposed to be about 12.3 to 12.4.) However, I knew we had replaced that battery just 6 months ago. The shop then put on a battery tester and tested the auxiliary battery (in the back of the car) and it was just fine. I tell you this so you do not make the wrong assumption regarding the battery because in this case that on-board method was not accurate regarding the state of the auxiliary battery.

The code that they then pulled using the OBD-II reader was Code 3190: air intake, loss of engine power...

Suddenly, Tommy the Hero of this Story comes back from lunch and remembers that when an air filter is changed, if any little thing falls into the air filter area, anything at all like speck of dirt, the car will go into catastrophic shut-down.

So they push my Prius around into the shop while I steer it, then they:

1. Simply blow compressed air into the air filter compartment for about 30 seconds, all around to clear anything out, and then they

2. Clear the code with the OBD-II reader and

TA-Da!!!! Problem solved! So simple!

The red triangle and check engine light disappear, the car starts charging the battery normally!!!! Hooray!!!

I drive around in circles nearby until the battery is fully charged once again and I'm happily on my way!

Tommy said that the Toyota shop had one time, years ago, charged him $500 to "fix" a car by doing the same and he was glad to put that knowledge to use.

I hope this helps someone else who goes in for a simple oil change and has catastrophic engine failure right afterward.

2. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    That sounds bizarre. Glad you got it fixed. Now feel like I have to take extra precautions when changing out the filter. Almost feels like you have to be in a clean room environment. (n)

orenji likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He probably overfilled your engine oil, has nothing to do with the air filter.......Have you checked the oil level recently?

4. TDHill

TDHill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We checked the oil with the dipstick before I pulled out initially and they did discuss later how much was added. But I watched them in the shop with the compressed air and they didn't remove any oil at the time, so I don't believe the oil level was the problem. It was extremely bizarre to go from everything working just fine to not even getting the car into Drive. I was searching Prius Chat desperately at the time to see if anyone else had that 3190 code after an oil change/air filter change.

CharlesPrius likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    was there an issue before you pulled out the first time? They probably over filled it and had to drain some out. Then the code popped up.....so they just cleared it knowing the oil level was correct.

I can't see how the air filter could have caused that "engine low power" error. Has to be an overfill

6. TDHill

TDHill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No issue until I pulled out to turn out of their parking lot and the red triangle and check engine lights popped on. After I pulled back up, they checked the code and tried clearing it and it popped back up. He discussed the air intake issue and his experience with Toyota with me before we even got the car pushed back into the garage. I was skeptical too bc that sounds ridiculous. But literally 30 seconds of blowing compressed air, then cleared the code, and everything worked fine, just as it did before I first came into the shop for the oil change. My car has worked perfectly ever since. So I don't get it either, but thought I'd share if it helps someone in the same predicament.

Etienne likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i change my filter in a clean room. you'd be surprised

Fishcrab likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe he dropped a rag down the air intake??

I can't see a bit of lint or similar causing that.

Fishcrab likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this ain't canadian lint, this is texas lint.:whistle:

CR94, Mendel Leisk and Fishcrab like this.
  10. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does your car have a MAF? If so you get a piece of anything into the pitot tube portion of the MAF the car won't be able to read airflow & go into limp home/freak out mode.

CharlesPrius likes this.
  11. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for posting this. EXACT thing happened to me just now.except it was me who checked the air filte (had oil changed 300 miles ago). had it towed to dealer but I’m gonna try to go fix it this way before they have a chance to gouge me. They’re closed Sunday anyway. Reason I towed it there was because it’s super close by and I have to get a safety recall fixed soon anyway.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the g2 forum.

Skibob likes this.
  13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only EXACT thing is that you had a P3190, so perhaps you should try it first, then post your results. That would be useful information.
    +1