1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixed error code P3140, C1521

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Angry Andy, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Angry Andy

Angry Andy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Last year I scored this '03 with 105k with bad HV cell for $800, fixed the cell and it ran great for a couple months, then threw another triangle of death.

Replaced 12v battery, still threw errors.

Bought a techstream setup, and found P3140, C1521

Have not done anything to the car, just drive it once a week...so I thought it couldn't be the inverter.

I procrastinate too much and don't fix it, it runs just fine...well last week I got the registration renewal and of course it needs a SMOG, now I *HAVE* to fix it or sell it.

Thought it might be another bad cell in the HV battery, so I tore it all apart again and voltage checked all the cells to find they are good. Put the interior back together and told the wife we might be selling it as is.

Searched online and it was pointing me in the direction of inverter pump....so I look to see if the pump is circulating in the reservoir, and found the fluid level was WAAAAAYYY low.

Topped it off, and triangle of death is now GONE!

Sometimes its just the simple things, and wanted to post this so that others who have the code might check their fluid level..….something I should have checked/changed when I got the car and did basic oil changes on the engine and drivetrain.....

Thanks to all that help out in this forum....By me searching others issues here and reading replies, led me to fixing it on my own.

Raytheeagle likes this.