1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixed Hybrid battery intake fan and replaced 05 prius Hybrid battery with new refurbished.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jessica Wright, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Jessica Wright

Jessica Wright New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ive got an 05 Prius and replaced Hybrid battery intake fan and then replaced Hybrid battery with new refurbished one. The little red car is still flashing but sometimes goes off. Will also loose power and battery charge fluctuates from almost full to one bar. Ive run diagnostics and only code thrown was the air intake fan that I just fixed. Checked all fluids. HELP!!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles on this vehicle?

Who performed the reconditioned HV battery and fan replacement?

If you cleared the known HV battery fan code (which code was that?), and it came back once you scanned again then you may have an issue with the HV battery fan or the replacement job. Best to go back in and check the work, paying special attention to the HV battery fan connector for corrosion on the inside of both pieces.

Rapid HV battery fluctuation on the MFD can be indicative of potential failure, what kind of warranty do you have left?

Many here use a mini-vci cable and techstream, what OBD2 device are you using to read the stored codes (DTCs) with?

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Jessica Wright

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick response! 150k miles. Had Hybrid battery replaced professionally (some company out of Phoenix) the fan was DIY. I had another diagnostic run yesterday and now said the catalytic converter (below threshold-Bank 1) code:p0420. My question now is will a bad CAT cause fluctuations in Hybrid battery?
    12 month warranty on battery.

4. Jessica Wright

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea where the smiley face came from but that is supposed to he the letter (P) P0420

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure on the cat, but the battery is very likely bad. get the codes read, call the company

Jessica Wright likes this.
  6. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds to me like your battery is a bust.... should not go all the way to one bar. Use techstream to read codes. As far as the P0420 DTC, that is most likely a sensor before the cat converter. I have heard someone tried to use lacquer thinner in the gas tank to clean out the exhaust system but i have not had any success with it. I consider the P0420 a minor issue, however.

7. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not in a carb state.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.