1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixed my P0A80 Code by removing the 12V battery connections Can it be that easy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by fortec, Jun 22, 2022.

1. fortec

fortec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 2011 Prius accumulated around 187K miles. Two days ago, while going to have my tires replaced, the "triangle of death" came on. I was able to drive the car still but it's on gas only as the hybrid system is down. I was worried b/c this will normally happen to others, but not me. Right?

By chance, I looked at the 12V battery - which I was meant to do a while back due to the corrosion on the negative side (black). So I manage to remove the 12V battery terminal for cleaning. It took about 10 minutes.

I put back the 12V terminals. And... surprise surprise... surprise, all the codes relating to the hybrid system aka P0A80 were gone. The triangle was gone. So I took the car for a test drive, and my hybrid system is working again.

What did I do that is right? Did the 12V reset the hybrid system? Or is it just luck and the faulty hybrid battery will come back to haunt me again.

Thanks,

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It'll come back to haunt you again. You just reset the system so it'll have to detect it again.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is possible that a bad 12v connection will produce false codes. fingers crossed, you'll know shortly

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can also clear your codes while in the drivers seat by using a phone app like Dr. Prius. You just need a device like this to connect your phone to your car: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265484403768 After going through this process a bunch of times you'll have a pretty good sense of what needs to be fixed. And make sure to share some screenshots in this thread so we can help you with your repair options.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Around 10:00 or 11:00 years I wouldn't say that's uncommon for the hybrid battery pack to get a refurb one put in or something like that done

6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  7. fortec

fortec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well, it has been a few days now since the triangle incident. The code P0A80 has not come back, keeping all my fingers crossed. My mechanic aka friend told me that it may be a faulty code due to it being a hot day. Ok, I will take his words for that. By the way, I did remove all the battery's bus bars to clean them. And now they are cleaned clean. As soon as I see something wrong you guys will be the first to read about it.

So far, my conclusion is when you run into a situation like this the first thing to do is reset the system via the 12v battery terminal removal. That's just my 2 cents.

Happy Hybrid-ding :D

bisco likes this.
  8. ImAnOilburner2

ImAnOilburner2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not to hijack, but my similar experience recently: So my daughter has disconnected the negative cable a few times over the past few months. Each time it has "cleared" the code and eventually come back after a month/few weeks. Last week I replaced her inverter coolant pump (and water pump/thermostat at same time); as she lives an hour away and I didn't have access to the car until after I ordered the parts. The inverter pump was dead, I presume the water pump and thermostat were fine but wanted to change them out being that I was changing coolant on both systems. Anyhow, a few weeks later and the code came back. I got an OBDLink MX+ and determined the P0A80 code is a permanent code (guessing that really can't be cleared, just suppressed) and therefore keeps coming back some time after the battery cable disconnect.

My question, if I install a refurbed battery will the P0A80 code fully clear? Or can that only happen at a Toyota dealer? Thank you

9. Rudd

Rudd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a refurbished battery installed 2
    weeks
    ago
    and the check engine light went off
    without having to delete
    it.
    So ya, it'll
    go
    away.

ImAnOilburner2 likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try disconnecting and reconnecting the orange service plug

11. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    my "permanent" P0A80 code went away 3-4 days after I put my new traction battery in. Car knows what it's doing.