1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixed Road Noise Forever!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mary M, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Mary M

Mary M New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just purchased a 2014 Prius Four and although I love my car, the road noise was unbelievable. After doing quite a bit of research, I decided to have Dynamat installed throughout the car. I live in the Portland-Metro area and found an installer on Craigslist. The company name is Allrite Mobile Installation and the Owner is Tony. I checked all references as I was leaving my brand new car. I purchased the material through Amazon as it was 1/2 the price charged from Car Toys. It took 3 boxes of 36 sf each. Cost of materials was $440 and install along with spraying material in wheel wells was $600. Worth every penny of it!! In this day and age of blue tooth phone calls, it is unbelievable quiet. Plus my doors now sound and feel like my old BMW! If you're in the area and looking for a solution to the road noise, I highly recommend Tony and Allrite Mobile Installation. His number is 360-567-5042. It took him 12 hours to completely install the material and reassemble the car but it's magnificent! Wanted to share as my car's interior sound is night and day difference.

Dylan Doxey and C.R.E.A.M. like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've heard about tony, he's one of the best in the business! what the hake is a prius alpha?:confused:

3. numba41

numba41 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know how much weight was added to the car and what the mpg impact is, if any? Thanks.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Oregon. Nice to have the recommendation of someone who does work like this.

I guess I'm an auditory heathen.

While I recognize that being a lighter car, The Prius does transmit it's share of road noise, compared to my recent vehicles, or most of the vehicles I've owned, it's not louder than I remember them being. Infact, turning off at stops, and with it's electric operation, The Prius is one of the most quiet vehicles in operation I've ever owned.

But I ain't been drivin no fancy Luxuree vehicles neither.

But thanks for the recommendation. I'm NOT a big DIY person. So having a knowledge base of quality people that do quality work, is valuable. Because you never know what might come up.

I have found in life, that often time the biggest hurdle in overcoming a problem is finding the right person or people to do a job. There seems to be a lot of people out there, that DON'T know what they are doing, and don't take much pride in quality of work.

5. Mary M

Mary M New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The added weight was 45 lbs. As I'm not a large person, I figured it wouldn't compromise my gas mileage much. For reference, I weigh 110 lbs. But even if you're larger, 45 lbs. isn't a lot.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, a prius alpha! i'm sorry, don't know what i was thinking, senior moment i guess.(n)

7. Mary M

Mary M New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm attaching the pictures of the car taken apart so you can get an idea how much was involved and how great it came back together!! photo.JPG photo1.jpg photo2.jpg photo3.jpg photo4.jpg photo5.jpg photo6.jpg photo7.jpg

Grren4ever and Dylan Doxey like this.
  8. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    The Prius IMO is loud inside. After riding in my best buddy's IS350 w/18 inch wheels, the road noise is half less loud than my car. All I can hear is his F-sport tuned muffler. There is definite room for improvement and I wish that Toyota did more sound deadening from the factory.

Good job here! Do you mind me asking how much he charged for installation? I am guessing not cheap assuming 100$ per hour x 12 hours?

9. Mary M

Mary M New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He charged $600. More than worth the $$$

Grren4ever likes this.
  10. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Looks like i'll have to make a trip out to Portland. 5 hour drive away from where I live :)