1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fixed some rattles, maybe this helps

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hamocidal, Feb 28, 2016.

1. hamocidal

hamocidal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So today i fixed some rattles that have been bothering me. Im not done yet, so I'll keep updating this thread.

Front doors

You will need dynamat and some soft foam pads for this.
    This will improve the sound of the door.

Dynamat is quite expensive, at your local hardware store you can buy repair tape which is ment for roofing.
    The material is almost the same but the price is a lot lower.

Start by removing the door panels. Also remove the plastic behind the door panel.

Next clean the inside of the door, and inside of the door panel.

Start applying dynamat on the door panel and the inside of the door. Close all holes that the plastic was covering by using the dynamat material. Next use a big foam pad cut it to size and thread all wires that come from the inside throut the foampad so they wont be able to vibrate against the wall.

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When your done, the speaker will sound a lot better and the door will vibrate a lot less.

Here is how it will sound

Next i found a rallte coming from the front panels. When you press on them they make contact with the headlights and you'll here a rattle, clunk.

I also applied dynamat inside these panels and used some velt on the spot where the headlight makes contact with the panel.

Here are the results.

Before

And after

sprtent and Rebound like this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great work.

Nature has provided me with a "back-door" solution. Which is that I think my hearing is slowly deteriorating to the point where I can't hear minor rattles anymore, or I mistake them for my own body popping and snapping in rebellion to existence.

But for those that may have better and/or higher auditory standards?

Good Work.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kinda like the truckers on the northern ice roads. One said in an interview: when he heard ice cracking, he'd turn up the radio. :)

4. hamocidal

hamocidal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Electric Me

Thanks, my dad owns a 2015 Merc E class, which is kind of rattle, squeek and clunk free.
    I want to have the same premium feel, when I'm driving the prius. So when i have time, ill do all the doors, and trunk. The trunk on a prius has very bad sound deadning, it will improve the comfort a lot once that is done aswell.

Ill keep you guys posted.

BTW, closing a door with sound deadning also adds to the premium feel.

5. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pruis door Dynamat 001.JPG Or this way