1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fixing 2002 prius gps/navigation "external system not connected"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jason D, Feb 7, 2009.

1. jason D

jason D New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    hi everyone , i'm new to forums in general. i want to fix my oem gps in my 2002 toyota prius. i bought the car used as a 3rd owner and it came with nothing inside the car. no floor mats, cd for nav system. when i hit the nav button on the dash the monitor says "external system not connected". can some please tell me how to fix my gps system. i want to fix this myself instead of paying the dealer to fix it. Please help.
    regards,
    in dire need of gps.

2. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Please check under the passenger seat. If your car has the factory Navigation system, then you will see what looks like a DVD player under there. The 2001-2003 Prius' have the buttons for the Navigation system on the dash, but that does not mean that you have one. In all likelyhood, you don't as it was a very expensive option. If you don't you will get the message "External Device Not Connected."

However, you can do like I did and install the factory Navigation system in your car. I have posted the instructions on how to do this. I have helped 3 other people do it with excellent success. Plus you get a maintenance reminder too! Its really great in not having to remember how to do oil changes. Here is the link to the site:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/54966-2001-2003-navigation-install-instructions.html

Let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

3. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sorry I am very tired! I did not mean to say "how" to do oil changes, but "when to do oil changes!"

The maintenance reminder will tell you when to do your scheduled Tune up, change your tires, wipers, coolant, tranny fluid, oil, oil filter, washer fluid, so and so on. I love it!