1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flap noise when turning Prius cabin air on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bryan Holloway, May 31, 2017.

1. Bryan Holloway

Bryan Holloway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hear a creek-like noise when I initially turn the air on in the prius. It sounds like it is the flap for recirculation or some sort of flap that opens and eventually dried out and needs lubrication. Anyone have experience with this and know how to fix and where exactly its coming from? Gen II with 240K miles.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As long as the HVAC system works OK, it does not NEED to be fixed. Especially on a car of that age/miles.
    It is a common noise on a LOT cars and trucks; sometimes even when new.

3. Bryan Holloway

Bryan Holloway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I understand, but am seeking information from anyone who might have tried to fix/suppress this.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Fixing it usually involves removing the WHOLE DASHBOARD to get access to the ventilation duct work and the dampers that direct the air.

If you pay someone to do it, just the labor will likely cost you MORE than $200.
    And it is not a task that most owners should undertake.

But you don't have to take the word of anybody here; let a dealer listen to the noise and give you a guess about fixing it.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think what Bryan is trying to convey is it not working OK. A little lubrication on a dried bearing/axle can save an expensive repair down the road.
    I hear you Bryan, I don't know why people feel the need to post and provide no help whatsoever. I hope you hear from someone who has actually done work in this area. All the best.

Bryan Holloway likes this.
  6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You mean like taking a swipe at another user and adding no pertinent information at all ??

If he means that there is a noticeable fault with the operation of the heat or A/C, then he should SAY THAT.
    And you should not jump to conclusions on his behalf.