1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flash drive for music in 2012 PII?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Caydoc, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Caydoc

Caydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please forgive my lack of computer/audio savvy, but here goes: My new 2012 II has USB port; someone mentioned to me that music files can be loaded on a flash drive gizmo, then played thru the audio system. Is this correct? Any tips on best way to do this? Help/advice with this greatly appreciated!

2. TomDac

TomDac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just get a flash drive and plug it into the USB port on your computer and move MP3 files to it. Then plug it into your USB port on your car. Turn on your stereo and hit aux button and you should see the files on the USB drive. Select the song you want to start playing and you should be set.

3. Caydoc

Caydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for a prompt reply! However....when I read the fine print on my 8GB thumb drive, it says "works only with Windows OS"...I have a Mac. Now what? Are there available flash drives that I can load with my MacBook? Thanks again.

4. TomDac

TomDac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hmmm. not sure about that. I've never seen a flashdrive that says it only works with Windows OS. If you plug the flashdrive into your Mac's USB port, you should be able to see it. Maybe you'll have to format it. I've never used a flashdrive with my macbook, but i'd give it a try anyway and see if it works.

5. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Think the issue with flash drives is that they are formatted for Windows. Add to that most any head unit will be looking for a Windows based file system.

Mac users need not worry in most cases. OSX should recognize a Windows formatted device for saving files to.

6. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure about the OS issues, but I've used a (Windows) flash drive on my 2010 for years; it might be you need to format your flash drive in FAT32 or FAT16. It does take a bit of time (up to 5-10 seconds) to scroll and skip through music files on the drive, though.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    for 2010 and 2011,the flash drive is limited to 16gb. not sure if the 2012 increased to 32gb.

8. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have never seen a flash drive that is limited to either Windows or OS, which doesn't mean they don't exist. I have used flash drives from SanDisk, Kingston, etc., and have swapped them between Macs and PCs. Why don't you trying moving some of your mp3 format audio files onto the flash drive and then see if your Mac can read them. If so then you should be ok for use on the Prius.

I just bought a 32g flash drive that I can load up all of my music and have available for access in the Prius. Just got to get that Prius...

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am using a 32GB flash drive in my 2012 and it works but it acts like I have it set for random play. In my Kenwood stereo in the 2005 the stereo plays the folders and songs in order. The 2012 just plays whatever it wants. I'll mess with it more tomorrow and see if there is a setting I missed.

10. MrTea

MrTea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I plug the USB Thumb drive to the usb port, it reads the photos just fine on the pictures viewer. But on the mp3 files it does not read. The AUX and USB option on the Audio screen does not light up to be play. Does anyone know why or how to fix it?

11. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ever find out if it can handle folders?

12. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 16gb flash drive in my PiP. I have a folder for each album. The entune radio plays one entire album and then stops. So yes, it can handle folders. I suppose I could set up a playlist so it would do something after finishing the album...