1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flash drive MP3 playing head unit recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Kate Harvest, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone recommend a reasonably inexpensive head unit ($100 or below) that could be installed in a 2007 Prius using readily commercially available wiring harnesses and bezels only and that could play un-DRM'ed MP3's off of a USB flash stick and that will retain the steering wheel stereo controls?

Don't really care if it also has CD or radio... Would be nice if it still had some sort of AUX jack, though... Or especially if it could be wired so the aux jack inside the headrest still worked.

Thank you!

2. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just about any aftermarket radio will have a USB slot. The last time I checked, Amazon had single DIN radios with USB/mp3 capacity starting at $25.

You will need an adapter & a compatible radio if you wish to retain use of the steering wheel controls. As a starting point, I recommend browsing the following thread:

Stealth Aftermarket Radio Installation

3. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That thread doesn't seem to involve any discussion of what's required to retain the steering wheel controls, and I'm not really clear on what this "stealth" install they're discussing actually means. I also get the impression that my having the 9 speaker JBL would make installation of an aftermarket deck more complicated, and I don't see discussion of that in your thread.

I've looked at this product some -- Video,Audio Information Solutions for Toyota and Lexus (iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, USB, XM/Sirius SAT Radio, Video integration) and it seems to do exactly what I want... But I'm kinda wondering if there's a cheaper option. I'm okay with it being physically uglier as long as it provides the same functionality.

4. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    JBL systems use an amplifier to process the sound & distribute it to the speakers. If you want to replace your stock radio with a non-JBL aftermarket one, you'll need to get a TYTO-01 adapter. This allows the non-JBL aftermarket radio be used in conjunction with your JBL amplifier & speakers. As a result, only your new radio will be heard over the speakers (no beeps from the MFD or voice from the navigation system, if you have one).

Alternatively, you can buy a new JBL amplifier & radio, making sure that both match the specifications of your speakers. It might be possible to keep the stock amplifier, but you'd have to make sure it is compatible with your new JBL radio. Most people (myself included) are very disappointed with the sound quality of the stock JBL system.

Another alternative would be to junk your JBL speakers, buy aftermarket speakers, and wire them directly to a non-JBL aftermarket radio.

A stealth installation involves installing a single DIN radio in place of the pocket underneath your stock radio.

At this point, you've clearly got some decisions to make and research to conduct. If you'd like all of your options and associated costs to be broken down for you, you might consider consulting with a car audio installation professional.

Good luck!

#4 Epiphany2000, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  5. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty happy with the JBL's sound personally. Sounds like you're saying that because I have the JBL, though, the Vais add-on is probably my cheapest path to being able to play MP3's off of a flash drive though... Is that about right?

6. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    IMHO, the cheapest way to get mp3/USB functionality is to buy a cheap single DIN aftermarket market radio, use a TYTO-01 adapter, and do a stealth install. For the radio, wiring harness & TYTO-01 adapter, you're looking at $100 and up (depending on how much you want to spend on the radio).

I'm not familiar with Vais add-ons, but from what I can tell from their website, their products seem to offer very little bang for the buck. If you want to go that route, I'd just make sure it will work with your JBL system before purchasing.

7. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I understand you correctly, a "stealth install" would mean the steering wheel controls would no longer work, that sound from my navigation and MFD would be cut off and that the factory deck would still be in my dash but won't be connected to anything. I don't think I'd like losing that many features and I don't think I'd like leaving nonfunctional hardware in my dash. Thank you for the suggestion though.

#7 Kate Harvest, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    contact crutchfield to see if they have an adapter that would add a usb port to your jbl system. any other option like replacing the head unit will go way over $100 because of all the other parts you'll need to make it work, plus installation.

9. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe "Stealth" refers to installing a single din into the storage slot underneath the current radio already there. This way thieves will not be interested in stealing your radio as they are not interested in stock radios..

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    but a 2din touchscreen is cool.

11. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, it's like this whole wealth of advice with pretty much everything except what I actually asked for. The last link appears to be an album of photos for how to change out all the speakers on a gen III Prius, which isn't the car I have or what I'm looking to do.

The two other links before it do look like they're online stores that sell a wealth of potentially useful products, but neither one of them seems to provide a clear answer to the question I'm trying to ask..

WHAT IS THE SIMPLEST AND CHEAPEST WAY TO ADD A USB FLASH DRIVE INPUT TO MY JBL EQUIPPED 2007 PRIUS WHILE RETAINING USE OF THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS, RETAINING THE AUDIO OUTPUTS OF THE MFD AND NAVIGATION AND NOT WINDING UP WITH ANY DEAD EQUIPMENT IN MY DASH?

If it's the Vais MultiMediaLinQ then I suppose that's what I'll get, I don't really care if you guys think not losing any of the existing equipment's functionality isn't worthwhile "bang for my buck" and I don't particularly care to hear a bunch of comments about how I shouldn't be happy with the sound of my speakers. I'm not the pounding bass type, I like having even, undistorted response across the frequency response range and the JBL provides that, I'm happy with it. I'm sorry you guys aren't.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Apologies if my attempt to provide sources of info was not received as intended. As for my Album, just a personal reference so you do not think I am just some yahoo trying to tell you your business...as I am not...and will not. Best wishes. ;)

13. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i'll tell you one more time. contact crutchfield. they can answer your question if anyone can. you didn't have to yell.

14. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Kate, what you could do, and what I actually did was get a fm transmitter with usb plug that plugs into a 12 volt receptacle. You plug your usb into the fm transmitter which relays the music into your selected fm frequency and your off to the races. Some, like the one I have also has an auxiliary plug as well. I'll see if I can find a link. I bought mine cheep at one of those clearance outlets and I've had no problems with it....

Kate Harvest likes this.