1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flashing big red triangle while cornering / braking? LOW OIL PRESSURE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 3prongpaul, Sep 21, 2015.

1. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Public Service Announcement:

If your Gen2 Prius Big Red Triangle is flashing intermittently (especially while cornering / braking) this is a reminder to pull into the first gas station you see, check the engine oil and add enough oil to bring it up close to the full line.

Most likely you have only a quart or less of oil in your engine and your engine has excessive oil consumption issues.

The damage is done and it will continue to burn oil so check it often and carry extra oil in your trunk.

If you ignore the problem your engine will grenade.

jdcollins5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks paul, not so on gen III?

3. Cathy Henson

Cathy Henson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    :( So I had this exact issue. Drove one week too long without checking because I was overconfident. There was a noise and Prius just died. Mechanic tried hand cranking and engine won't move. So here's the thing. What do you think about putting a new engine in? And why are Prius rebuilt engines so cheap? Last, why is my mechanic so chicken about doing the job. He's whining about not having the right tool to disconnect transmission off engine...same old song. Pay me thousands and I'll do it for you lady! Has anyone out there successfully replaced an engine into a 2005 Prius?