1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flashing "lock" symbol: I truly don't understand it.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dpbsmith4, Apr 19, 2016.

1. dpbsmith4

dpbsmith4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My wife and I noticed a flashing "lock" symbol on the dashboard and were trying to understand what it meant.

So I read the manual, p. 89, Immobilizer System, and... I actually don't understand it. Can someone clarify it?

"The vehicle's keys have built-in transponder chips that prevent the hybrid system from starting if a key has not been previously registered in the vehicle's on-board computer....

The indicator light flashes after the power switch has been turned off to indicate that the system is operating.

The indicator light stops flashing after the power switch has been turned to ACCESSORY or ON to indicate that the system has been cancelled."

What is the flashing light actually telling us, and how does knowing it help us?

[​IMG]

2. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's reassuring you that the system is working correctly and your car will be immobilized if the key is not present.

I've resigned myself to not understanding many of the Prius's lights and other indicators.

I borrowed my nephew's Land Rover Discovery today and it was trying to tell me all sorts of things about what 4WD mode it was in, etc. and all I wanted to do was to get to the Y and back. I couldn't figure out its AC system so I gave up on that too.

pakitt likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It means the car has been properly shut down.

4. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A FOB is still in the car. The FOB battery is ok, The FOB passes the security protocol. The door will not lock. When the Driver gets out and shuts the door the Prius complains. (long loud tone/beep). Those off the top of my head from owning a Gen2, Gen3 .

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think a blinking light is meant to freak out potential thieves. Whether it's effective who knows.

ITBland likes this.
  6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure the light just means that the alarm is "armed" and "ready" for when someone tries to break in or a locked door slams shut.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That light and immobilizer system are on all Gen3 Prii, alarm or not.

Think of it more as a system to prevent hotwiring the ignition system. If the proper key fob code is not present, the propulsion system is immobilized.

#7 fuzzy1, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It tells you the hybrid system is off, therefore the "immobilizer system" is in effect. In other words, it says nothing significant that you wouldn't know without it, a silly (although tiny) waste of battery power.

Any thief sophisticated enough to contemplate stealing a Prius without the proper fob isn't going to be intimidated by a flickering LED that flickers the same way in all other shut-down Prii.

ITBland likes this.
  9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It tells you the hybrid system is off, therefore the "immobilizer system" is in effect. In other words, it says nothing significant that you wouldn't know without it, a silly (although tiny) waste of battery power.

Any thief sophisticated enough to contemplate stealing a Prius without the proper fob isn't going to be intimidated by a flickering LED that flickers the same way in all other shut-down Prii.

10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WHY would you need a light, let alone a FLASHING light to tell you it's working???
    Like the stupid light on a tv, dvr, or cable box to tell you it's off! Well, if it ain't on, then it's OFF!
    Plus they are WAY too bright! :)

RCO likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's Prius-specific in any of this? Since the earliest days of car alarms, they've had a blinky light on the dash or under the windshield or on the mirror or somewhere. It says to every thief or vandal, "hey! Go steal or vandalize somebody else's car,'cause mine's got this blinky light here."

Aftermarket alarm shops used to have an option to suit every budget, and usually there'd be one that included no alarm system whatever, just the blinky light. We're talking decades of automotive tradition here.

However, the light can on rare occasions tell you something useful, if you have an early Prius generation where the keys/fobs could be registered in a master or sub role. You could tell which one you had by the way the blinky light stopped blinking when the key or fob was presented.

-Chap

12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The original intention of the flashing light was to indicate to would-be thieves that the car alarm was armed. i.e. a token theft deterrent.

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  13. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never had one, but all aftermarket alarms I knew about had a flashing light, typically on the dashboard or near the ignition key. It was so you could tell at a glance that it was armed. The first ones I saw were armed from inside and you had 30ish seconds to get out and lock the door. It wasn't till later ones which could be activated by remote control or by the central locking. I think my FORDs flashed too.

14. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I remember those, some only needed a AA battery and cost peanuts - they were remarkably effective at the time, according to a report I read in the paper - like dummy security cameras at home - potential thieves went to easier pickings.

RCO likes this.
  15. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It means the system is working as designed and you purchased a wonderful automobile...

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What I like most about the blinking light on my spare 2007 is it lets me know when it's time to connect the charger to the 12v battery again. I glance inside the car whenever I walk by it. If I don't see it blinking, I know "aw crap" I let it sit too long and I have to plug in the trickle charger again.

ITBland, RCO, fuzzy1 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course you can do the same thing by leaving the dome light on, and it won't take as long :p

kithmo, RCO, fuzzy1 and 2 others like this.
  18. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Silent alarm. To let potential thieves know the engine is locked.

krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  19. ProfLitty

ProfLitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    This may sound weird, but I have never noticed this flashing light until today! I have owned my 2016 Prius since December 31, 2016. I never see it flashing when I get in or out of my car. That's why I feel like I've done something wrong today and started searching forums.

20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat. Yes, it's easily overlooked in daylight but more eye-catching after dark. Most modern cars with a factory fitted alarm/immobilizer will have one of some sort, though some are bigger (me obvious) than others. Just as long as it goes out when you unlock your car, all is well. (y)

ITBland likes this.