1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flashing (one bar) fuel light.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by moviebizman, Aug 11, 2012.

1. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Camry has a 16 gal tank and when the light comes on it will only take 13.

2. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    your guess is 100% correct…which is why I never look at the DTE gauge at all. It's easier for me to do the math in my head as mpg for the tank times 9, times 10 if I want to really push it for some reason.

3. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another thing to remember is that the tank is most likely not filled to that 10.6 gal capacity when the nozzle shuts off. So the "reserve" you might think you have, and therefore the distance-to-empty, could be off when the light begins to flash. If you make note of how much gas you put in the last time, and multiply that number by the current tank average you should have a pretty good idea of the remaining range. For example, if you put in 8 gals and reset the trip odometer, and you average is 70 mpg, you can "guesstimate" you can go 560 miles on that fill. Any more than that and you are on borrowed time. After a few tanks you'll have better info to go by, but in the meanwhile I would suggest filling up before the next to last bar goes out.