1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flat rate manual for engine repairs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rjh427, Apr 30, 2022.

1. rjh427

rjh427 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this Q but here goes:

Can anyone provide a time estimate (flat rate manual preferred), for valve guide seal replacement? And would that be with head removal or with head in place using the compressed air trick to keep the valve from falling inside the combustion chamber?

Oh, I'm looking for what the flat rate manual says for time instead of the labor charge in $'s because different shops charge different hourly rates.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... I had to Google that to confirm. Had no idea you could do that... But seems to me on an early Gen3 you'd be better off waiting for the head gasket to fail so you can replace everything at once and do a more thorough& longer lasting job?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe techinfo.toyota.com, idk

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    One edition of Toyota’s Flat Rate Manual allows 15.1 hours to remove and replace the “compression spring and/or retainer and/or oil seal and/or retainer lock” for all cylinders, plus 0.1 hours if the car has air conditioning (operation numbers 141031 and 141031L, ZVW30 series).
    I assume Toyota’s allowance is based on the Repair Manual (more info) procedures, in which the engine assembly is removed from the vehicle and the cylinder head is disassembled.
    Yes, but I find the versions on toyota-tech.eu easier to use.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. rjh427

rjh427 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So 15.2 hours and that includes engine R/R. The car does have a/c. Hmm. With 205k miles, it makes me wonder if an engine swap from a low-mileage wreck might be the more cost-effective fix. Gen 4 engines into a Gen 3 sound doable per other posts here, what about Gen 5 engines into a Gen 3? Anyone know of shops in FL, Tampa Bay area, that do that kind of work?

I called the local Toyota place before creating this post, they eventually put an actual wrench-turner on the phone. Dude said he would have to look it up and get back to me, but he also indicated he would use compressed air, not R/R the head.

Dude also tried to upsell me on the updated pistons/rings and a few other parts IIRC, then he tried to put some fear into me about low oil & how low oil pressure can damage rod bearings, which would definitely make the swap more cost effective I think.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hows the oil consumption?

And no offense, but can you be a bit more specific about your location?

7. rjh427

rjh427 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't driven it a whole lot, so that's difficult to quantify. Over the last year I've put about 3k miles on it, added a tad over 2 quarts.

And no offense but Tampa Bay FL area, Pinellas and/or Hillsborough counties is as specific as I'm willing to get.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's getting up there, for sure.

Thanks. Putting something to that effect (in place of "earth") will help responders.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. rjh427

rjh427 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I said where, earlier, as you can see and verify. I thought you were after my street address or something.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah, ok. But sub'ing that info for "earth" in your avatar, people can tell your "approximate" location at a glance, without needing to search through the thread.

Hey, I'm from earth too, lol.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't give mendel any ideas , he's been scouring north america for blown engines :cautious: :p

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no such thing as gen 5. yet.

try todd at tampa hybrids. @jerrymildred works there. he might be able to advise

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could try calling Todd at Home - Tampa Hybrids Inc.. As @bisco said, there's no such thing as a Gen 5 Prius. I doubt that Todd would put in a Gen 4 engine since that's considerably more work. But we do replace the occasional engine. You'd have to ask him about cost and scheduling.

(I had no idea Earth was so close to Tampa!! :LOL: As @Mendel Leisk suggests, your actual location, even if it's just state & county, would help people know what to advise without jumping into a research project.)

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.