1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flat tire and Roadside Assistance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CarlK, Mar 25, 2006.

1. CarlK

CarlK New Member

A few months ago I read posts asking about coverage for flat/damaged tires. The OEM tire manufacturer warantee that comes with the '04 (and presumably '05) Prius only covers defects in workmanship. However, the Roadside assistance program that comes with those model years does indeed cover fixing flats and replacement if necessary.
    I got to prove this when I had a flat going 70+MPH on I-77 in the middle lane. As someone else commented, it was difficult to tell the tire was flat (left rear). But the noise told me something was really wrong. I made it to the shoulder and changed it in the dark (not a fun thing to do).
    The next day my Toyota dealer said the tire was not repairable, which I expected. I sent the replacement bill to the Roadside Assistance folks and received a full reimbursement of over $100.
    The info says there needs to be some minimum of tread left to get a replacement, but they never asked for proof of tread depth.
    Were it not for the folks on this forum, I wouldn't have realized this problem was covered.

Thanks,

Carl

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, it covers Road Hazards. I've used it to get reimbursed for flat repairs.

The Tire Manufacturer Warrantee would cover defects that came with the tire.

Remember, the Roadside Assistance not only covers the Tires, but the Wheels as well. So, if you hit a pothole hard enough to bend a wheel, they will replace it as well as replacing the tire.

Not a bad deal. Too bad they dropped it for the '06s

3. gordonr

gordonr Member

Thanks for this info. I was just switching out the snow tire for the OEM tires on our '05 today, and noticed some sidewall damage to one of the tires. It's not flat, but doesn't look great with a gash into the rubber. I'll have to contact roadside assistance tomorrow.

4. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've noted a number of places on PC where it says that Roadside Assistance was dropped for the O6s. Interestingly enough I have a little mini-manual that came with my 2006 that describes and lists the Roadside Assistance program and phone number...so.....??

5. momsum

momsum New Member

I had a flat about 5 weeks ago. Didn't know it except for the noise. My husband changed it with no gloves and below zero wind chill! OUCH! The next day bought a new tire because the old one couldn't be fixed. I wonder if it is too late to send it in to the roadside folks? I will certainly give it a try!!

Thanks for the info.

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I find it very hard to believe Toyota dropped roadside assistance for 2006...

7. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Does anyone know whether the roadside assistance that comes with prepaid maintenance plans (I got one for my '06) includes tire/wheel coverage as outlined above?

8. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't have a prepaid maintenance plan and i do have roadside assistance...the info was in the little mini-manual that was hanging from the shifter knob when I purchased my vehicle. My salesman indicated I do have roadside assistance...whom am I to doubt??

9. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Strange... I thought roadside assistance only covered changing a flat tire, not replacement cost. I suspect that if you got the replacement covered it might have been a mistake on their part to cover it.

Why would they provide replacement coverage without advertising it or advising anyone of it?

Here's what google found when I entered "toyota roadside assistance". Doesn't say anything about replacement coverage for anything.

http://www.toyota.com/html/tcuv/assistance.html

10. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tmorrowus @ Mar 29 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]231854[/snapback]</div>
    It's not a mistake.

They cover the tires and wheels against 'road hazards'. They also provide 3 free gallons of gas and other such oddities.

Came standard with all the '04s and '05s. There's been a lot of discussion about the '06s, and the general consensus is that it's not provided, though some people did get the information in their packets.

Some of the '06 owners have tried to go up the line with Toyota about it, but to my knowledge, no one has made a claim with an '06.

11. gordonr

gordonr Member

It does cover tires.

From the '05 Roadside Assistance Pamplet which came with the car...

"Tire and Wheel Road Hazard Coverage

For the term of the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty, reimbursement will be provided up to $20 per incident for the repair of a flat tire damaged by a Road Hazard. If the tire is non-repairable and has more than 3/32 nds of tread depth remaining, you will be reimbursed for a camparable new tire (includes balancing and mounting) up to a maximum benefit of $150 per incident. A warranty term maximum benefit of $600 applies to your tires, and all repairs or replacements must be pre-approved."

12. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gordonr @ Mar 30 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]232364[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting! I wonder if this is covered with the extended warranty... Something similar to what happened to CarlK struck me on 8/12... I was driving 70ish on I-95 in MA, when I suddenly hit a piece of black metal? on the left lane. Needless to say, the front right Hydroedge took quite the hit... a 2-3 inch tear on the sidewall.. the tire's useless.

Ironically, I had rotated and balanced the tires the day before... :lol:

Well, Town Fair Tire (TFT) was nice enough... they price matched me to NTBs offer of $115/tire. I should've mentioned Discount Tire Direct's price of ~$105, but I only thought of NTB at the time. They said they'd redo the alignment/balance for free. :) I guess I'll be calling the roadside assistance number to see if this $150 benefit applies, because TFT doesn't provide road hazard coverage for the Hydroedge's.

13. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luiset83 @ Aug 16 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]304431[/snapback]</div>
    Hydroedges?

I believe the benefit is only for the OEM tires, and only for 3yr/36k

14. PaPrius

PaPrius Member

Learn something new every day, or so it seems.

I have an '05, and didn't realize that I had coverage for tire repairs.

I've only used Roadside Assistance one time, for a flat tire on Mother's Day (around dinner time, no less, and they responded in very little time). I was not aware that I could have been reimbursed for the cost of the tire repair (nail right in the tread).

Thanks again

15. troe

troe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Mar 29 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]231889[/snapback]</div>
    I just looked it up, my roadside assistance plan that came with my 06 states that tire replacement and alloy wheels are covered. I checked with my dealer by phone and they agreed that they are covered by the plan.

16. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gilahiker @ Mar 28 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]231595[/snapback]</div>
    By mini-manual, I assume you're referring to the 2006 Pocket Reference Guide, found, as you said, hanging from the shifter knob.

Mine, printed in the USA & dated 10/05, makes no reference to any "roadside assistance." Which part of the mini-manual did you find this under? How many pages does you guide contain? Mine has 29 - with four of those pertaining to Safety & Emergency Features.