1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flat Tire and TPMS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Siward, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi PriusChat,

I got a flat tire last week. This is my first time getting a flat with a tire that has TPMS.

How likely is the TPMS sensor broken due to a flat tire? Can I replace one TPMS sensor at a time? Or does all 4 need to be changed at once?

#1 Siward, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacing one at a time should be just fine. The system will still need to be reprogrammed to recognize the new serial number, unless the shop puts in a clonable model programmed to the old serial number.

If a sensor is broken, the system will know that one sensor is not reporting and will light up the warning on the dash. No warning means that nothing is broken.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Has the tire been repaired/replaced? If so, and there's no TPMS warning light, you're good. If not, I'd just follow through on the repair/replacement first, see what happens.

4. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can I use two of my winter tires as a spare tire? I'd rather drive on bigger tires than the smaller spare.

My winters are 195/65r15 and my all seasons are 215/45r17. I wonder if I can drive with two of each? Of course, this is only temporary until I get replacements.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Normally TPMS sensors aren't damaged by a flat, unless you're one of "those people" who finish a 28-mile commute on pothole infested roads without changing over to the spare.

You can use the winter tires temporarily. It's not optimal, given the difference in size, but it will be preferable safety-wise to the doughnut.

TPMS: IF your TPMS has to be replaced (I doubt it does!), then the tire shop will have the ODB-II tool to program the new ID number into the TPMS.
    If they say that it's a dealer-only function, then you need to get a new tire shop.
    You DO have to program the system with the new sensor ID, but a competent tire shop can do this in less than 5 minutes.
    Don't let them over-charge you for the TPMS!
    They're usually less than $50.

Ask for the old sensor back.
    If they ask why tell them that this is between you and the last tire shop that tried to rip them off for a new TPMS sensor.

Your car is a 2012.
    TPMS has been around for a while, and flats happen every day.
    If TPMS sensors failed with every flat, then WALMART would be selling them for $5.
    This should be a lay-up for a competent tire shop.

Sensor Replacement
    Toyota uses either Pacific or TRW sensors and modules. The system monitors more than pressure and temperature, it also looks at the wheel speed sensor, engine RPM and other inputs to make sure the system is operating within set parameters. If the vehicle has a problem with any of the information that is shared along the CAN-BUS, it will not function properly.

Whenever you replace a sensor, module or install a second set of wheels, the new ID numbers for the sensors must be programmed into the system through the OBD II connection. The ID numbers can be found on the sensors. Sometimes it is not until the tire is installed on the rim or the vehicle, that the techs realize they now need those numbers. Some dedicated TPMS tools can collect the IDs by either capturing the periodic transmissions from a sensor, or by activating the sensor by letting pressure out of the tire so that the pressure drops 6 psi within 30 seconds.....
    Source: TPMS Update: Toyota Tire Pressure Monitor Systems - Counterman Magazine

BruceInOKC likes this.
  6. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the prompt response. I drove about 3 miles at low speeds to get off highway once the tire blew.

I will be getting my flat replaced with a new pair this weekend. I plan to install two winters so that I don't have to drive on the doughnut at highway speeds.

How much does the TPMS sensor cost? Is ~$50 for both labour and parts?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Through the dealership I'd guess $200 all in. The part alone is well over $100.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the U.S., customers are entitled to have the old parts back, so no reason need be articulated. But customers need to ask for it before the repair, before the shop might throw it into the trash dumpster.

Did the wheel survive without damage, or does it need replacement too?

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't notice that you were from the frozen North until I saw the way you spelled "labour".
    The fact that you spelled 'tires' correctly must have thrown me off.

Like I said... TPMS sensors go for less than $100 USD.Prices I saw on line were closer to $50USD.

Shop.
    Save.

I quoted prices in USD because all of the snow-birds have flown back North and there's nobody left to fuss about the conversion rate, so I don't know what it currently is.

Good Luck!

10. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TPMS is such a hassle. If I had a choice, I would rather not have TPMS on my car.

Too bad I can't just clear all the sensor IDs to disable the annoying light. I also heard that the batteries are not replaceable, so these sensors need to be completely replaced 5-7 years later.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You have a choice; the car does not lock-down without TPMS. Our car rolls for about 4 months outa the year on snows without TPMS, no issue other than a little orange light.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A bit of black electrical tape will hide the annoying light.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't even bother with that, don't want to gunk up the dash with tape residue. It's a diminutive Amber light, by no means obtrusive. Comparing ( for example) to the passenger seat belt status lights. Do you even notice those? ;)

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The type of TPMS that depends on comparing wheel speeds using existing ABS hardware instead of specific pressure sensors in the wheels should be a lot less hassle and expense. As far as I know, it should also be functionally about as good, since Toyota's arcane system doesn't report individual wheel pressures anyway. Perhaps someone can explain why they went the way they did.