1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flat tire audible alert?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by howardbc, May 24, 2011.

1. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I want to know if it is possible to program the "low tire" visual alert to also be an audible alert. I have had 2 flat tires over the last couple of months. The first one I noticed in my garage, but the 2nd one I was hurrying to an appointment and didn't notice the tire alert until I was at least half a mile from home. It took the car club almost 2 hours to get to me and change the tire. I almost fainted in the heat. Bottom line, if I have a flat tire, I'd rather know it immediately when I turn on the car's ignition. Yes, I know I should have looked at the display but I was in a hurry. However, if I had heard an audible alarm, I would have stayed in my garage.
    By the way, the flats were both on the left side and a mystery to me. I don't drive off-road or do anything even remotely risky. Any help on programming an audible alert would be appreciated. Thank you. :(

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not a built-in option. You could, of course, hack one together yourself, but that is not a trivial exercise. Your best option is to train yourself to be more attentive to the indicators.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an audible alert on mine. It goes thump, thump, thump when the tire is flat.

4. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, very funny. Really, you made me laugh. Thanks.

5. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why not leave the car on and the AC running?

6. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Brett. I left the a/c on for over an hour but it took almost 2 hours for the car club guy to get to me. I was worried about the engine overheating and just burning gas. I stood under a close-by shade tree for the last 45 minutes. Thanks.