1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flat Tire Repair, to remove the item causing the puncture, or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 55ticoga, Sep 14, 2017.

1. 55ticoga

55ticoga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, I've put together a tire repair kit in my PiP to serve as a primary alternative to the kit supplied by Toyota. My alternative kit includes a bottle of TPMS safe Slime, another compressor, and a tire puncture plug kit. I've noticed that the owners manual instructs to leave the item causing the puncture in the wheel, because removing it could cause the hole to get bigger. Slime, however, says to remove the item. I'd like to know people's thoughts on this. Has anybody actually used Slime to repair a tire? If needed, should I follow Slime's instructions to remove the item? Or follow Toyota's to leave it in the tire?

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It’s mostly a matter of size. Slime is much easier to use, but I would expect that it would have issues sealing larger holes, particularly when the nail has been removed. Personally, for just about any common nail or screw up to about 3/16 inch diameter I would not hesitate to pull out the offending item and seal it with a plug. I’ve done this numerous times, though not on the PIP fortunately. You get your hands dirty, and it requires some strength to get the tool through the inner steel belts, but it makes a permanent fix for the life of the tire. Half the time there’s still enough air left in the tire to get safely back on the road. And pulling the nail means you don’t have to put up with a loud clack on the pavement every time the tire rotates. Of course with any sidewall damage, all bets are off, you need a new tire.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. 55ticoga

55ticoga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Pluggo, Yes, if a flat ever occurs when I'm driving, I will choose to plug it, as a first choice. I'm quite comfortable doing that. However, that won't be the case with my wife. So, I'm putting together detailed instructions for her with pictures. As to the question of removing the item causing the puncture, Slime has told me that it is due to the chemical makeup of the Slime. Apparently, Slime has "fibers, binders and clotting agents", that are carried by the liquid to the site of the puncture and form a plug inside the hole. I'll go with pulling out the offending item, if possible.

Thanks!

4. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Plans can always be amended, but they are an essential starting point. Here's hoping every tire issue presents itself at home, not on the road.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't really trust Slime, so I've never used it to "fix" a flat. But I have used plugs numerous times. The most dramatic was the back tire of my motorcycle the had a triangular chunk of cast aluminum in it. That took three plugs to fill the hole well enough to limp the 25 miles back home. I really didn't think it was going to make it, but I stayed under 50 mph & didn't pump it to full pressure in the hopes that the air wouldn't push the plugs out. Once I got home, I started breathing again and discovered an enhanced respect for the fuzzy caterpillar plugs.

6. Yea Right

Yea Right Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This all begs the question, what plug kits are you using?

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many many years ago, I got a kit that had a T-handled ream for roughing up and enlarging the hole, a T-handled tool for inserting the plug, and some fuzzy plugs. I also have a second little compressor in case the factory one fails.
    IMG_6593 2.JPG

8. Yea Right

Yea Right Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thx ... For road trips I keep wondering if I should just get a kit and maybe another extra small compressor, or a donut spare.

9. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    so bubble gum and duct tape doesn't work anymore???

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many do strap in a spare for road trips. I haven't had my PiP on a long trip yet, but have a full sized spare available just in case. I still don't know if I'll take it, though, because it takes up so much room.