1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flickering dash..different than threads I have read....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Matt in AK, Dec 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Matt in AK

Matt in AK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car operates fine in the Ready mode. I have read several "flickering dash display" threads and my problem is different.
    When I attempt to turn off the car by pressing the Power button, the car shuts off but the combo meter display, the yellow key fob icon and "engine maintenance" icon all remain lighted and flicker.
    If left in this state, they remain on, flicker and just drain the 12V battery.
    In the Ready mode, the fob key icon comes on and remains on despite a good fob battery, good fob function etc..
    All agreed it was the combo meter. We replaced the combo meter and the same problem persists.
    I have never used a Mini VCI and it has been suggested to try that next, perhaps that is the next step.
    The headlights work in this altered, flickering state and clearly there is a drain on the battery when they are on, as would be expected.
    The MFD, radio, clock etc all turn off OK, but not those combo meter panel lights and 2 yellow icons.. .
    Depressing the power button with brake depressed puts it right back in "ready" mode again from this altered state. Without the brake depressed, the expected partial power up mode comes on OK.
    It was intermittent, now persistent.
    The 12V battery tests OK, 12V at rest and 14V while running per my volt meter.
    NAPA did a test on the battery too and they said it was OK also.
    In the past, disconnecting the battery for a while, if not overnight, seemed to resolve it. I have tried several maneuvers like ...many variations like
    - shutting on and on several consecutive times (seemed to fix it once or twice).
    - holding power button down for several seconds, with and without the brake pressed.
    - shutting off Power while still in Drive, Reverse or Park.....
    Please advise. Please ask questions.
    For now, I am just disconnecting the battery when not in use.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12v at rest is almost dead

3. Matt in AK

Matt in AK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco, Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention it is a 2009 Prius. Your image looks like the dash, but I have no display that looks like that.
    I am not familiar with reading trouble codes, I do not know how to do that. If it is by using the VCI, I don't have one yet and going to a Toyota dealer is not an option.
    My 12 v battery is good.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it's just a loose connection behind the meter, or the notorious bad solder joint is just starting to go

5. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you have a battery box jumper. You could try connecting that when you shut down. 12v when off is a low battery. Are you using a digital or analog meter? 13.8 when the power on is normal, if off and reading less than 12.1 is bad. Google 12 volt state of charge.

bisco likes this.
  6. Matt in AK

Matt in AK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco, The combo meter is new to me / refurbished. I am thinking it is something else because it is the exact same problem with a new combo-meter and, the 2 yellow icons flickering are not part of the combo meter.
    Anyone hear of a Power button switch problem or some other short ?

bobodaclown, not sure what you mean by using a battery box jumper, but my digital meter reads 12.3-4 v and 13.8 - 14.2 v when running.

7. Matt in AK

Matt in AK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    THIS IS THE DISPLAY THAT WILL NOT TURN OFF

Attached Files:

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Can the car be made READY and driven?
    2. Does the flickering and the instrument panel remaining on happen 100% of the time, or are there times when the car will turn off correctly?
    3. When the car is READY, does the MAINT REQD light remain on?
    4. Have 5K miles elapsed since the odometer timer for that light was reset?
    5. Check the IG1 and IG2 relays to see if they are stuck. Hit the top of each relay with a screwdriver handle.
    6. With the flickering condition present, try pulling the IG1 relay out of the socket. Does the condition persist?
    7. Reinstall that relay and pull the IG2 relay out of the socket. Does the condition persist?