1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flickr (photo sharing/bloggin) "Pro" Account to gi

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pkjohna, Jun 3, 2005.

1. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you're not familiar with this site check it out at www.flickr.com. Flickr looks to be the next generation in online photo sharing offering the "tagging" (meta data?) ability that some of the desktop apps offer as well as being able to attach notes to specific areas of a photo -- great for identifying objects and/or people in a photo. The list goes on but check it out for yourself.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I recently bought a "pro" account when I pulled together photos from several family members after a family reunion. As a bonus for buying the pro account while they were/are still in beta I now have 2 free one year pro accounts to give away to a couple of individuals/causes. I have until the end of June to give these away before the offer expires.

So give me your best shot at describing why you or your pet cause is both deserving and will make use of such an account.

It goes without saying of course that if Danny has any opinion on the matter then his thoughts will carry considerable weight!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I won't put my name in the hat as a friend recently gave me a flickr account (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/95694198@N00/ ). It is fairly easy to upload, but I find the interface pretty cumbersome. I haven't found a way to link photos there to other sites (i.e. can't post a photo from there, here), and once a slide show is created I can't figure out how to rearrange the photos. Also, the site recompresses your photos (even if you say you don't want it to), and artifact is severe in some cases.

I'd imagine there may be a way to do all of those things, but figuring it out isn't easy with the tools provided. Besides that, you end up with photos in lots of areas...organizing and rearranging the photos on the site is really funky.

I hope the site succeeds, but I also hope they create a "pro" interface that allows for easier rearranging, storage, linking, and creation.

3. cybele

cybele New Member

Re: Flickr (photo sharing/bloggin) "Pro" Account t

I've been enjoying flickr for a few months and just upgraded to pro last week and recommend the site to anyone looking to archive and share offsite.

While it takes a little while to get used to, it's a mighty powerful site. Not only can you link photos to other sites, but you also get a choice of sizes (just click on either "see all sizes" at the top of any photo or over to the right where it says "see different sizes."

You can't rearrange your stream (it's in order of upload) but with a pro account you can create sets and then send links to those sets to friends to view. Within sets you have the ability to change the viewing order. The Organizr is absolutely fantastic and if you're meticulous about your tags, it might be the best thing that happened to sharing photos.

I agree that some needs to be more intuitive and I'd like the ability to rearrange my stream instead of creating sets. But 2 gigs a month for $2 a month is one of the best deals around.

If you find no takers here, there's a thread on flickr central where folks beg for pro sponsorship. http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/27619/

[​IMG]

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cybele, can you tell me how you link to outside sites? Also, once a slide show/set is created how do you rearrange the photos...I saw that during the creation process they could be rearranged, but I can't figure out how to go back and change things in my created sets.

And least I sound like I'm bashing...the Flickr site does seem pretty cool, and if I had the time to screw around with it more maybe I'd like it even better.

5. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

[​IMG]

Obligatory link back to Flickr

From Flickr's Terms: The Flickr service makes it possible to post images hosted on Flickr to outside websites. This use is accepted (and even encouraged!). However, pages on other websites which display images hosted on flickr.com must provide a link back to Flickr from each photo to its photo page on Flickr.

Instructions here: How to Get URL for photo

Afraid I can't help with the resorting of photos other than to create new set with the desired order.

Keep in mind that the site is still beta with tons of new ideas floating around.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks John,
    Though I have to say it's still a mystery to me exactly which photos you can grab a link from and which you can't. I remember trying every possible way of finding the url for a photo the other day and finally giving up. Today the first time I clicked on a photo I got my hand held to several HTML/URL options I could choose from.

Ok, I'll back off on my slamming, but I still find the site cumbersome and it's hard to know how versatile it is b/c it's hard to work your way through the features.

[​IMG]

7. cybele

cybele New Member

I'm happy to share tutorials. Again, I find Flickr to be a very powerful, fully featured site, but not as intuitive as it could be.

To link photos offsite - pick the little magnifier at the top of a photo ("all sizes") and it will take you to a page where you can choose a size:

Square - 75x75
    Thumbnail - 100x75
    Small - 240 x 180 (what I linked to above)
    Medium - 500 x 375
    Large - 1024 x 728 (depends on how large your photo is)
    Original - if it's larger than the Large above

Obviously these dimensions are reversed if the aspect ratio is for a portrait formatted photo. Pick the version you want then scroll down below the photo on the page and you'll see a permalink to that size that you can paste into a forum post with the tags around it.

Below that is the full HTML code that you can use for a web page that includes a link back to the flickr page where the photo is.

[b]Creating a Set[/b] - you can create Sets in the Organizr. This is a flash app, so make sure you have Flash 7 installed (and disable your flashblocker in Firefox if you've got it turned on). All existing sets will show up on the right area of your Organizr. You can also create a new one here. Give it a title, and maybe a description, which will show up on the Set page. You can put HTML in the description, but you can only view it in action in the Set page. Once you've create it, you've got to put something in it (or else it won't save). Pick a photo from your Organizr - you can load them by date taken, date uploaded or using the search function to load by tag (this is why tags are important when you start uploading thousands).

[b]Adding to Sets[/b] - there are several ways to add to sets. One is to use the tool at the top of every photo to send it to a Set. You can choose from a drop down of all your created sets to add it to. The newly added photo will appear at the end of that set. You can also add using the Organizr page as noted above.

[b]Editing Sets[/b] - Go to the Organizr page and pull up a Set within the right hand area. You can rearrange the order of photos in your set and change the representative photo for the set by dragging them around. For some reason I can't figure out how to delete a photo from a set in this frame (I delete them by going to the set and using the pull down for sets to remove it).

You can also control the order that the sets appear in the page for Your Photos within that right control panel (just remember to hit save).

Each Set has its own URL, so it's a great way to send people to the photos you want them to see, instead of whatever is freshest in your stream.

(Crud! While I'm writing this up, seems you've figured it out ... oh well.)