1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Floor mat gimmick dealers use

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by FishHawk, Nov 22, 2010.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

Floor mats are used by dealers to make extra money on a deal. I work at an auto auction and when we are through detailing a car for auction the floor mats go into the trash except for the rear cargo mat. So be aware of this scam by the dealers . FishHawk

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Scam? In some cases it's out right theft! My Prius didn't have Floormats from the factory (not listed on Window Sticker), yet they "threw" them in at my request! Where did they come from? Another Prius sitting on the lot! I guess the next sucker will either pay for them or they'll get pulled from yet another vehicle on the lot...

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just to help to fill in the blanks, is this about right:
    • A severe accident in November severely damaged a 2006 Prius?
    • A 2010 Prius replaced the 2006?
    • Accident happened in Massachusetts?
    How much of a hit did the floor mats make on the price, either absolute dollars or % of purchase price?

Are your floor mats held in place by plastic tie wraps or just the hooks?

In the SouthEast Toyota region they are fond of putting 'port options' on in Jacksonville. If you are not ordering a custom configuration, there is not 'opt out' as they are added before the vehicle ships.

As for the floor mats, I figured they were just a nuisance charge, trivial until the five months later there were reports of run-away accelerations and one fatal case in a Lexus that involved an all-weather mat. So I was at first amused to find our carpet floor mats were not even held by the hooks. In fact, the hooks were not even in the car.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, mine are held in place by some pretty hefty hooks, and they line up with the holes in the floor mats, so I'm assuming they are OEM mats. Again, the window sticker for my Prius did not list Floor Mats as an option, they were "thrown in" to "seal the deal"! They had to come from someplace, and it was late Saturday evening when we brokered the deal and took delivery, so I'm pretty sure they didn't come from the Parts department!

5. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Perhaps the dealer was out of stock and had to order your mats. Rather than have you wait he chose to give you a set from that other car and then he would order what he borrowed from the stock car.