1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Floppy Disk Drive Noise From Engine Bay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jonnydwolf, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Jonnydwolf

Jonnydwolf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I have read through a few post on an issue with Gen 2 CHRS (coolant heat recovery system) pumps making funny noises. I wanted to post a video I made and see if there is anyone on here that can confirm if the noise is indeed that CHRS pump:

If so, I think I read that it is probably ok it makes that noise, but I sure would hate to find out the hard way that I should have gotten it fixed... Looking for validation that it's ok :ROFLMAO: (no, if it's not ok, I will fix for sure)

More details:
    - It has been in the upper 30s to mid-40s F
    - Replaced coolant a couple weeks ago, not sure the noise occurred prior to the change. I monitor coolant temps, they stay 155-186F depending on type of driving I am doing. Cabin heat works great and all coolant levels are great. No red triangles.
    - I notice the noise most when stopped and the ICE shuts off. The noise doesn't always occur. (I know I'm over thinking this!)

Thanks!
    J

#1 Jonnydwolf, Dec 24, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your noise is definitely not the CHRS pump, and if you remember where any of the posts were that made you think it was the pump, it wouldn't hurt to go back and comment there so that future readers' time isn't also wasted.

Your noise is the coolant control valve, which behaves like this when its position sensor goes flaky and the computer keeps wagging the valve back and forth trying to find the right position. Very well known Gen 2 issue.

You can find more about it in these threads:

P1121 and inside the coolant valve | PriusChat

3 way coolant valve noise. | PriusChat

what is this noise | PriusChat

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a failed coolant control valve. Plenty of threads here that you can research.

[Edit] Snap Chap!