1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Florida toll and tax hikes because too many hybrid vehicles on the road

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RaZa, Jun 27, 2012.

1. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't count on tax money going where it's supposed to in NC. Lottery money was supposed to go exclusively to the schools. How did that work out? For those in other states, I should explain that politicians here borrowed from the lottery money to fund other projects and never paid it back.

2. NiHaoMike

NiHaoMike Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do that after EVs become mainstream. Before that, heavily tax gasoline.

3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As long as it is proportional to mileage * weight^4, I have no problems with it.

4. Jason dinAlt

Jason dinAlt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first thing to do is get the governments to remove vehicle taxes (tag fees, gas taxes, etc.) from the general fund and re-establish state highway trust funds.
    Then and only then will I believe that not enough money is being generated for highway maintenance and construction. Otherwise I remain convinced that it is just another case of pols lying, cheating, and stealing.

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because a 3,000 pound Prius puts as much wear and tear on highways and bridges as an 80,000 pound tractor trailer.

Here in the SF area, they've been building a replacement for half of the Bay Bridge. They built both spans of the original in under three years. Replacing half of it has taken over twenty years and is costing over one billion dollars.

These people have plenty of money, but they spend it like defense contractors.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As a Californian, toll roads are dumb if the only way you can get around is not via subways, etc. Just impose a general tax on everyone, as nobody really walks that far on foot.

7. pingnak

pingnak New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's OK. Florida will be a chain of swampy islands in 50 years, so the vehicle taxes will be the least of their problems.

Given the number of retarded Florida stories that are always in the news, that's probably a bad thing, since they'll all have to move to other states.

8. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yay just this weekend the tolls in florida went up from 9% to 33% YAY! Glad i don't mind driving the backroads as much anymore. It takes me 15 minutes longer to get to work, but it saves me about $17 per DAY in tolls and gas. That's about $350 a month savings just by skipping tolls and using less gas. Thank you Toyota!

markabele likes this.
  9. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Holy crap! Paying $17 per day in tolls is insane. I would sacrifice 15 minutes time, too -- so I could still afford to eat.

10. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My first reaction to these new tax schemes is...how about spending less money. Fewer people driving fewer miles?? Then spend less money. But let's give the politicians the benefit of the doubt for a moment. If you need to generate more money, then just raise the damn gas tax and get it over with. Why go and invent a complex device to install in everybody's car that will be prone to tampering.

On a similar note, NYC is considering a new tax to property owners to raise more money to support the water and sewer systems..., where they will charge you for how much rainwater gets discharged from your property. They propose to come around to your home and determine the amount of area that you have built on vs. the amount of green space that allows water to be absorbed into the ground.

Like most people, I don't want to pay any more taxes than I have to, but if there is a need for more, just raise the damn water/sewer tax and be done with it. Why set up a whole new taxing infrastructure.

11. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    We need to tax the gas hogs off the road not the cars that get good gas mileage! If we need money for the roads then pay by weight. A Prius is very easy on any surface! If you do not have a business that needs a large truck then pay out your A$$. Also we need a selection of small Hybrid trucks to replace all these gass hogs with 36" wheels and one passenger with no freight.