1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flu shot

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Jan 13, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You could not be bothered 3 months ago, and have read since that this year's US seasonal flu is somewhat evading both tri- and quadrivalent vaccines. So you, reader, are unlikely to get it. But I'll take a shot at convincing.

I was in US and got the vaccine at Thanksgiving. Back here, before New Year's, I got infected and 'went down'. In all likelihood the was H3N2 which we now know was not quite matched by the vaccine. I was not sick enough for hospital interventions (fluids and O2) but very uncomfortable.

So, the fable on the table is that even a partial immune-system response is better than none. I believe that, and that I would have done worse without it. Readers might not. But right here is where you place your bets; where you balance cost/time/effort against anticipated benefit. All I can tell you is that with what I know now, I'd take that vaccination again.

I hope few readers have been ill, and that few others will become so.

==
    For me it was odd - my lung junk ended very suddenly and the sinus junk is trailing off (more typically) slowly. The former in my experience is unique.

Andyprius1, JimboPalmer and pilotgrrl like this.
  2. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm glad you're feeling better! I wouldn't wish any flu on anyone. I'd rather get a shot myself. My experience has been a little IM pain, big no flu gain.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I got a shot in early October as I was traveling to western Washington for my daughters wedding in Late October and neither wanted to succumb to the flu in WA nor bring anything from MS. ( Jimbo Palmer | Facebook )

Right after Christmas I felt bad for a few days but shook it off. (I had helped deliver 280 meals on Christmas, so was more than usually exposed)

Be safe.

Andyprius1, RCO and tochatihu like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a couple of locals have died. younger and apparently in good health, but i may have missed a detail. they have upgraded the percentage of effectiveness around here for some reason. it started out pretty low, but is considered somewhat better now.
    we had had a long run of long lasting colds for some reason, but not too much flu, although i haven't seen any data.
    i have been getting a shot since i turned 55.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Shot or not, I hope that the vast brain power of PriusCat gets what vaccinations are.

You have a fabulous immune system. Lacking that, paleo ancestors would have been snuffed long ago and I'd be talking to nobody. But the system cannot be pre-prepared to attack every odd protein; there are simply too many and most are not linked to evil.

Vaccinations put particular (disease-related) proteins into your arm muscle whence they diffuse. Your immune system replies 'da fuk?' and constructs a bunch of hate cells. Then, if you get some of those bad microbes growing, you already have a supply of correct hate cells and they lead you back towards happy. You'd do all that on your own, unvaccinated, but the time constant is wrong. Your immune system has an impossible job, to protect against everything, and it does not (can not) hit current hottest problems. Vaccinations are useful news.

Vaccines are not magic. They are just better targeted and faster.

RCO and JimboPalmer like this.
  6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where's the Doc? I miss him around here. Has anybody talked to him lately? Does he still own his 04 Prius?.....Probably not anymore.

SFO likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In 1977, I wrecked an RD400 motorcycle and had road rash. (hands through the gloves, knees through jeans, some of my neck that peeked out under my helmet, and and forehead where gravel had built up under my face shield and unsnapped it) The ER Doc asked how long it had been since I had a tetanus shot and I said "Uh..." and he said "Too long!" and stabbed me.

Three years ago I mentioned this to my Dr. and he said "We don't routinely do Tetanus boosters" then thought some more and said "1977 Really?" and stabbed me.

RCO and tochatihu like this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Great example! Tetanus bacteria can ruin your life but somehow (I do not know) your immune system forgets about making the hate cells so you need a reminder. This is one of the reminders one needs at decadal scales. Most other vaccinations you got as child were one-off.

Mumps, diptheria, polio, whooping cough, and so many other vaccines you got as child are just proteins that were not seen as changing. One shot did the job, but tetanus is different?

??

We need a real doctor here to talk about this stuff. We really do.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I felt bad for a few days but shook it off@3. If no meat gets posted here I'd ask you to post more details.

10. Larryy

Larryy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every year I watch as those I know who get stabbed get sick to one degree or another while I, along with some others I know who do not get shots remain well or if they do get sick it is no worse than those who did get shot. I for one do not trust government, big pharma, AMA, etc... I wish you all the best of luck and hope your immune system can take that kind of abuse and still remain intact. A healthy diet will go so much further and with many more benefits.
    Check out the film "What the Health"

11. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Perhaps you refer to Sagebrush? Looks like he is over at mynissanleaf.com these days.

Not an immunologist here, but the honest answer is probably that we don't fully understand why antibody levels wane at different rates to different fixed threats, such as to the tetanus toxoid where the enemy target is stationary.

Vaccination with the tetanus toxoid stimulates the production of antibodies to the dreaded tetanus toxin. Unlike influenza, the tetanus toxin does not come in multitudes of strains and does not mutate. So it's not a game of whack-a-mole with tetanus. But the body "forgets" this tetanus toxoid target faster than the others Tochatihu mentions, and antibody levels decrease rapidly enough that one should therefore get a booster every 10 years.

The immune system seems to recognize and "remember" certain targets/patterns with differing levels of success.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    About three years ago, I turned 65 and went to get my annual flu shot . . . and it hurt. I asked why and it seems at age 65 you get 'the big shot.' It was like the first flu shots including a day or so later, a mild malaise. I'm my wife's primary care giver so she and I get the 'big shot' usually in October and certainly before Thanksgiving. Knowing what to expect, it is not a big deal.

Thankfully she stopped smoking 33 years ago. Along with getting some sinus/nasal problems corrected, she handles the seasonal maladies much better. Yes, we've both current on the pneumonia vaccine.

Sad to say, we had to visit the hospital Friday for another malady. She was whisked back fairly quickly and I was there to help. But with dry winter air, I went looking for a water fountain found only in the lobby ... with the flu patients. I let the water run a little longer but we'll see what happens in the next week.

Bob Wilson

#12 bwilson4web, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  13. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I was referring to EFusco, couldn't think of his name before. He was one of the original people here.

SFO likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I believe he went Tesla several years ago.

Bob Wilson

SFO likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never had a reaction to the flu shot, or the flu since receiving it. i'll be 65 in 2 years, so that should be interesting.
    i had to ask for the tetanus booster, my doc is in need of retirement and not up to speed.
    he only hangs around because of the shortage.

16. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am strongly allergic to the flu shot, and have been for decades. The last one I got was in 1998 and the reaction was terrible, plus if gave me the flu itself almost immediately. I had the same reaction the previous year in 1997. After the second time, the doctor made me promise never to get a flu shot ever again.

SFO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They tell us over here that the flu shot cannot give a person flu.... (n):(:)

pilotgrrl and bisco like this.
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    pilotgrrl likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have had 2 docs tell me i can't get the flu from the shot. it's dead, whatever that means.

RCO likes this.
  20. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Egg allergy is no longer a contradiction. All available flu vaccines are safe in all egg-allergic patients. I would recommend you rediscuss this with your physician.

NEJM Journal Watch: Summaries of and commentary on original medical and scientific articles from key medical journals

To be clear, however, if you had a severe allergic reaction that was thought to be for reasons other than egg allergy, you may still be out of luck. A tiny percent of folks are allergic and this may have nothing to do with an egg allergy.

#20 iplug, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    SFO and bwilson4web like this.