1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flu shot

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Jan 13, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Both 178 and 179 mention UV light for bad-thing killing. It is effective. It cannot safely be used when human eyeballs are in the room. These are not tanning lamps. These are serious chemical-bond breakers.

Ozone production in this context is a red herring. Xerographic copiers are the best indoor-ozone producers. Comes to nothing because indoors also have volatile organics. Ozone hits those first because that's what it does.

Means UV sterilization may fail where volatile organics are present. do not know know if this is properly considered.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Shall we have a poll of flu-shot takers here?

Shall we have a poll of hot-water, more than 20 seconds with real effort hand washing here?

After vaccination I fell to flu, and it was a bad week. Inadequate hand washing may have contributed. As I wish readers to fare better, I wish they'd do better.

Coughing is not an ideal way to '6-pack' your abdominal muscles.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  3. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm, the last time I saw a male doctor was briefly after my accident, when the neurosurgeon walked in and said hi. He wore a white coat, but I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a line up. All the follow up visits were with his PA, who wore scrubs.

My PCP is female, so she never wears a tie!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This is 2018 Influenza thread, where benefit would come to readers not getting thus ill.

Vaccine du jour is not great. Yet there is reason to expect some benefit from it. US now is near 'peak virus'. If you have not yet paid to get shot in the arm, you still might.

You still can practice severe hand washing. Always can.

==
    Here (because it's PriusChat) sensible people commune. They (you) will probably be sensible. More or less.

:)

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For readers in the U.S.:

By law (the Affordable Care Act, a.k.a. Obamacare), your health insurance plan is supposed to cover preventative measures such as this, without any copay or other charge. This is one of Obamacare's 10 Essentials.

But don't walk into a random drugstore or supermarket offering flu shots for a price, then ask your health care provider or insurer for reimbursement. Instead, go through their system.

My HMO provides unscheduled walk-in service (to members, not the whole public) during normal flu shot season, October onwards, with relatively quick mass-production service. But even during lower demand times, just about any of the lab "Injection Rooms" should still be ready to provide them quickly.

#185 fuzzy1, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the reminder ... I washed the dishes.
    There was a brief 'news' article about smartphone addiction with three silly question but then I realize that my primary uses are:
    1. podcasts and music in the car - broadcast AM, FM, and satellite have become boring and 'a great waste land'. So I capture and carry what I want to listen to in the car.
    2. podcasts, PriusChat, and news collections at a bar - wearing noise canceling ear buds, I tune out the usual bar-noise and enjoy a beverage. For quality time, hang out here.
    My smartphone is a reality lifeline and filter.

Bob Wilson

7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My doctor always wear a conservative suit when I have consulted with him during office visits. He may be one of the last.

And, he's younger also, around late 30s. He is an east coast guy though (Harvard Med School), so maybe that has something to do with it. I know for years that one of our area's most prominent neurosurgeons drove around town in an OLD beat-up Datsun.

And what this has to do with flu shots.....

#187 Stevewoods, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i read today that some congressmen want to pump a billion dollars into flu vaccine r&d. they built a pretty good case for the spending based on money's we have spent in the past on much less serious illnesses.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems the current administration would rather leave that to private business, such as Big Pharma, so they can profit from it. Leave room for the rich to get richer. So the CDC budget has been reduced.

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ties and stethoscopes have been germ collectors/distributors for as long as doctors have used them. Actually, so have hands. Medical people are supposed to wash their hands between patients, but studies have shown that on average they do it about 1/3 of the time. Obviously there hasn't been a big enough stink about it.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed doctors and techs being much better at this in recent years, putting on a show of washing or using the hand sanitizer dispensers in each exam room.​

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my doc insists on shaking hands when he comes into the little room.why can't we get beyond this anachronism?

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The time to really worry is when he comes in wearing a moon suit...

bisco likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And some research shows that the scrubbing they do before surgery is good enough in preventing infections that the gloves aren't needed, maybe even better than.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wife and i just picked up colds here in florida, first time in 14 years. thankfully not the flu.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    RCO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the flu vaccine was derived from inert, or dead virus strain and could NOT cause a flu infection in the recipient.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 'standard' vaccine is, but there may be others. we have a super shot for over 65, not sure if it is live.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Being vaccinated isn't a guarantee for immunity, and the immune system does take some time to reach full strength protection after getting the shot.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve long suspected that the best time to get the shot is when the first up tic is reported. Three weeks later, maximum protection. But doing it in October has worked.

Bob Wilson