1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flu shot

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Jan 13, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Don't remember if I ever 'liked' RobH before. But mikefocke presented an acute matter, and vitamin C has never been shown harmful at few-grams per os levels.

Ideally this would cover this personal, acute matter. If there is a problem with this (lot#) vaccine it would need to be addressed differently.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note also that there is often a difference between the vaccine selected and input by the health authorities / planners, and the result output by the common chicken egg mass production method. Apparently certain components don't reproduce well in those eggs, and what comes out is dominated by a slightly mutated version that reproduces much better in that environment. Unfortunately, those slight mutations sometimes render the vaccine far less effective than what the researchers originally selected and ordered. That seems to be one of the problems this year.

Some sort of new mass production method is needed to more faithfully replicate the ordered version.

On top of that, there is also research going in to finding a 'universal vaccine', one that targets proteins on the virus coats that don't mutate rapidly and annually. I don't know how well that is going, but budget cuts to the CDC certainly don't help.

RCO likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    universal vaccine@162 for influenza looks at virus surface structures that are 'stable'. It should work for a while. Influenza viruses have nowhere else to go but mammals and allied species. The end is not in sight.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    The trouble is the rate of type-B samples showing up. The rate is the wrong direction. In contrast, type-A is going the right way.

Bob Wilson

iplug likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, I'm no longer that sporty! Should have read Atlantic..... Not athletic cruise ship.

bisco and pilotgrrl like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The bleach might just attack the material the wipes are made of.

Diluted down, bleach is an effective wound cleaner, and I've used it in a nettie pot when an infection might be coming on.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "bleach might just attack the material" Interesting point. A very simple science fair project could be imagined.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh, I've already done that with a washing machine and now spotted clothes.

Bob Wilson

pilotgrrl likes this.
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I just wonder if there are fancy-pants polymers that are unimpressed by hypochlorite.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    White ones.

Bob Wilson

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    OK, I looked, and polypropylene seems a good choice. So 'bleach wipes' are a potential thing. Except for the litigious society aspect. Bleach bits as a name is already taken as I recall :rolleyes:

==
    This fits here I guess. When I get a hand-wipe on commercial flight, I wipe armrests and fold-down tray. Yes it's been studied and those things are way dirtier than your hands :eek:

Unless you are very young or not much on hand washing.

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Watch out for the doctor's tie and stethoscope.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no ties around here anymore. same with the nurses, everything goes in the wash.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  15. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't seen a doctor wearing a tie in years, except on some Japanese and Korean medical dramas.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  16. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I see doctors at meetings where most wear ties, or at least smart casual. Occasionally I see groups in green scrubs escaping the local Kaiser facility for a local eatery. Last time I saw a doctor in his office he had a lab coat over white shirt and tie. That was 5+ years ago so things may have changed.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we can only hope...

RCO likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With local schools closed for Thursday and Friday for cleaning, this makes a lot of sense:
    This Special UV Light Could Zap Flu Germs from the Air

. . .
    Researchers have known for decades that so-called broad-spectrum UVC light, which has a wavelength between 200 and 400 nanometers (nm), is effective at killing bacteria and viruses. In fact, a "germicidal UVC lamp" is often used to disinfect surgical equipment. However, this UV light is hazardous to human health, and can cause skin cancerand cataracts, Brenner said. [27 Devastating Infectious Diseases]

But recently, Brenner and his colleagues found that a narrow range of UVC light — far-UVC light, around 207 to 222 nm — could kill microorganisms without causing biological damage to exposed skin.
    . . .

Now this makes a lot of sense with one risk, ozone, not discussed. But it makes sense that a robot, UV light pole might make a better answer. The operational scenario:
    • clean-up crew handles bulk - stains, floors, trash cans, and paper products
    • start a robot or UV pole and leave building - on a timer, the UV light disinfects during a time without people exposed to the generated ozone. It might even be integrated into a separate, overhead light strings.
    Bob Wilson

ps. The article title in error calls the flu virus a germ.

#178 bwilson4web, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think germ in that use is colloquial for any infective organism. In technical use, germ is actually part of a plant seed.

Some of the bio-hoods at work have germicidal UV lamps. They do a number on plastics in the hood, and the paint of nearby cabinets.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I don't see why we even bother with 'germ'. Human diseases arise from viruses, bacteria or fungi. There are also multi cellular parasites that quite enjoy human interiors, and others like bot flies that are just passing through. This means about 6 broad types of disease causers. Not such a large number. A clever species would have no need to dumb that down to germs.

Back before DNA was known, 'germ' stood in for mysteries of genetic inheritance. There also it now muddies the waters. Overall I think this 4-letter word conceals more than it reveals. If a later dictionary lacks it, I'll not complain.