1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fluid Changes Cost

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Priusgal85, Sep 13, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oy, now we have to worry a bout tranny fluid changes.:p

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The dealers always call it "flush" .. but, in my experience the service is only ever a dump of the fluid and refill. It's really a refresh -- and that is all that's required.

With the coolant you are getting anything out of the low point and refreshing the additive pac. Modern coolant is not like the old stuff that would lose the freeze protection in a couple of years.

Same with the flush on the brakes -- some places call it a flush .. but it's a full bleed. Many use the BG unit and they stop at the fluid capacity or use colored fluid.

Find a good independent ... it takes more time to remove the under cover vs the time to open the drain plugs on the inverter/radiator/transmission and oil.

While its not hard to jack up a car -- placing it on four jack stands to get a level vehicle ..... takes the procedure to another level (and danger) ... best to be shown and understand. I always used ramps on the set I was working .. and kept the jack in place no the others.

For the under $200 in labor for the whole thing -- not worth the cost.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Transmission fluid drain and refill at Toyota dealer was $75 labor only on my previous Gen3 Prius at 30K service. I supplied 4qt Genuine Toyota ATF fluid and Toyota oem washer ~$30 at Amazon. They initially quoted me "Transmission Flush" for $260, but after explaining to them that all I want is "Drain and Fill" and I will supply fluid (much cheaper buying online than at dealer), they basically did it for 1/2 hour of labor cost. Other two have not done on Prius.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a dealer let you supply the parts? that is a new one on me.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IIRC some Canadian dealership were doing transaxle fluid changes at a sale price of $80 CDN (($79.99 of course). That's with the 4 liters of the Toyota ATF WS and the washers. It's not that different from an oil change, just the fluid cost. In fact, up here liters of Mobil 1 are more expensive than the ATF WS.

$80 is a reasonable price, either side of the border, when you consider what's involved. I wouldn't mind doing $80 transaxle fluid changes all day long, even with my DIY set up.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is great price. Of course, on my initial approach to my dealer asking for transmission fluid change on then 30K miles Gen3 Prius, they simply replied to me "Prius doesn't need ATF change." ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nutzaboutbolts video says engine coolant due at 120K miles, which to follow?

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah from my latest receipts, the fluid was $9.14 (CDN) per liter, 4 liters required (well 3.5~), and the washers were an exorbitant $3.80 apiece, 2 required.

Realistically the washers should not be over a $1 apiece, so $40 for supplies, $40 for labour: that should be the everyday price. Especially with a lift it would go very fast.

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Other way around, imho. It harder to get the air our of the engine coolant than the inverter coolant. Inverter is a piece of cake. I won't speak to the brakes since I haven't done it.

10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A dealer out this way allowed me to supply the oil for oil changes and would only charge $30 for labor. I would go on Sundays and they discounted labor to $20:).

Never hurts to ask(y).

bisco and Salamander_King like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, my experience with dealers on this are good. Everyone know the same service costs less at non-dealer shops, so if they say no to customer BYOP they lose good revenue. I did the same thing with Honda dealer service dept, I supplied 8 spark plugs I purchased from Amazon at $8 each, the dealer installed them for me for labor only for $98. The initial quote I got from the same dealer if they supply the spark plug was something like $350 for spark plug change with cost of spark plug being $$$30 each.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our dealer would let me do that too, but their oil and lube price is already $29.99. When I took my previous Gen3 for 30K service at the dealer and asked for ATF drain and fill with my supplied fluid and washer, I also brought Genuine Toyota oil and oil filter with me, since that was due also. They quoted me $40 for labor with my supplied oil and filter, because no discount can be applied. Guess what I used their oil and filter and ended-up costing me LESS. Sometimes ago, I also asked Walmart how much they would charge for simple oil change if I supply them oil and filter. Their price was $17 for labor only. I think their regular oil and lube price is $19.88, meaning their cheap 5 qts of oil and filter cost them only $3.

#32 Salamander_King, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It Works here at the Finland also, you can bring all spareparts and fluids with the car and dealer has to accept those and install.
    Of course they can claim some no warranty etc.

EDIT: well gotta edit this, of course dealer can deny taking spareparts/fluids and not to do the job, but most of the places that is totally ok.

#33 qettyz, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Salamander_King and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's just a thinly veiled reference to the procedure they are carrying out on your wallet. :eek:

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did everyone catch that: the Civic Hybrid had 2 spark plugs per cylinder, which was pretty cool. They ignitied sequentially I believe, to improve combustion. There were various tweaks like that, but sadly they were eclipsed by the overtaxed battery pack. :(

16. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Either way my next car will be honda civic hybrid :cool:

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was that invention just for ICE for Hybrid? Didn't regular non-hybrid Civic (8th gen) ICE have 2 spark plugs per cylinder?

18. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mercedes has used two spark plugs on various products -- the first V6 in the mid 90's that they have used in many vehicles since has 12 spark plugs.

Salamander_King likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just the Civic Hybrid had that, I think. I vaguely recall a few years later they had another Civic, non-hybrid, where they tried lots of fuel saving measures; it might have had the duel spark plugs too. That vehicle sorta died on the vine, wasn't that popular, I forget why, maybe too stripped down? Manual transmission? (Half-hearted wiki search I didn't find it. Might have been just in Canada?)

The second gen Civic Hybrid also had dual-lift cam lobes: low lift for better fuel economy in everyday driving, and hydraulically shift over to higher lift only under heavy load, say, accelerating up a ramp or hill. You can definitely feel it kick in.

Lots of good ideas, but sadly didn't all work in concert.

#39 Mendel Leisk, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Salamander_King likes this.
  20. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did not drive the civic -- but the numbers did to work with the Accord. Small trunk and no hatchback ....

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.