1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fluid maintainence and Levels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ElectricCarFan, Nov 28, 2016.

1. ElectricCarFan

ElectricCarFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello everyone!

With winter on the verge of arriving, I popped the hood of my 2010 Gen 3 Prius to inspect the levels of the various fluids. In the past with all of my previous normal gas ICE cars (this time of year) I'd just do things like top off the Anti-freeze, inspect the powersteering fluid, and inspect the brake fluid.

My daily driver is currently a 2014 Nissan Leaf. I'm leasing the Leaf and my lease is up in May. I've had my Leaf since May 2014 and I've literally had to do nothing. It doesnt have maintaince fluids like the Prius. Or rather it does, but according to my dealership and the owners manual they are considered sealed and don't fluctuate or need serviced. So I just drive my Leaf and thats it. I actually forgot such fluids existed until very recently.

I just bought my Prius as Used back in August. I'm only the second owner. The original owner took very good care of it. Its got 183,000 miles on it. I have done some normal upkeep already such as new tires, new spark plugs, and an oil change.

This is only the 3rd time I've ever popped the hood. It just normally boots up and I drive it. Its still driving perfectly at that.

But, I figured that now is probably a good time to inspect its fluids. The Prius has fluids that are different from my previous gas cars, such as the Inverter Coolant. When should you fiddle with that? Do you add inverter coolant often? At all? Is it not normal to need to top it off. I know antifreeze you usually have to top off every ow and again.

My inverter coolant level appears to be right at or a hair above the "min" or "low" line on the side.

What about the Brake fluid? My Prius' brake fluid appears to be at a pretty good level yet. Do you have to fiddlewirh that?

How about Power Steering fluid? Does the Prius have Power Steering Fluid? I thought I read someplace that the Gen 3 has electric accessories and is belt-less. Would this include Electric Power Steering? I'd imagine that it wouldn't require Power Steering fluid right?

There's just a lot of fluids under the hood, its overwhelming. I'm kinda worried now about maintanance of it all. Up until now I hadn't thought about it.

It looks like my antifreeze is below the "min" line but appears to have a lot left. Do I have to buy a certain kind of antifreeze (such as from the dredded dealership)? Can I just go to the store and buy the $10-20 bottle of Peak 50/50 prediluted antifreeze?

Yikes! My Leaf has made me forget about all this. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#1 ElectricCarFan, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    LTMafia likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The antifreeze in the inverter is a separate loop, but just the same fluid as the engine.
    "based on replacement with Genuine Toyota Super Long-Life Coolant or similar high-quality non-silicate, non-amine, non-borate ethylene-glycol coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology (i.e., a combination of low phosphates and organic acids)" Page 57 of http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-10Prius/pdf/2010_Prius_WMG_0W20_lr.pdf

The power steering is electric, not hydraulic, there is no fluid.

Brake fluid is dependent on the moisture in the air, Phoenix will need replacement less often than Miami, there are test strips to check for moisture.

About every 60,000 miles (Toyota does not specify when) you should change the ATF WS in the transaxle. It needs 3.5 quarts (buy 4) and two crush washers, about $40 at the dealer. If you have the dealer do it, expect about $125.

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can check all of the maintenance video on my YouTube Channel. Enjoy! :)

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If there's no obvious issues with the brakes, I would leave the brake fluid reservoir level as-is. It's natural for brake fluid level to drop as brake pads wear. Typically the reservoir is design so that around the time the pads (and/or shoes) are nearing service limit, the fluid will be at the bottom mark, replace the pads/shoes, and push the pistons back to accommodate them, and the level will return to top level.

So, topping up when the pads are worn is not needed, counterproductive will likely lead to overflow come pad replacement time. That's unless there's a leak in the system, and that you don't want to solve by topping up. FWIW, the Canadian Prius maintenance now calls for fluid replacement, every 3 years or 48,000 kms (30,000 miles). @NutzAboutBolts has a video on that, pinned in the maintenance forum. I've recently done ours, left a couple of comments near the end of that thread. I would play it extra safe, use Toyota DOT 3 fluid. A couple of pints is sufficient for a fluid change.

Coolant levels near the bottom marks in the two reservoirs, I would break down and buy a gallon, top them up. The stuff lasts, sooner or later it'll get used. To play it safe, just get the stuff spec'd in the Owner's Manual.

Engine oil, the spec is 0W20. I've used nothing but Toyota 0W20 since day one, it's cheap as dirt up here. The dealership's ok with me buying bulk now, charging $4.50 (Can) per liter. Reading the oil level: the car should be level. Some people say it should sit, an hour or two, overnight, I do not know: never see much difference.

The one thing: the dipstick is bad for smearing, making it HARD to read the level. I would suggest: withdraw the dipstick, wipe it off, wait a few minutes (maybe check tire pressures), and then re-insert and read the level. By then the drawn-up oil in the dipstick tube has drained down, and you get a nice clear reading.

What else: washer fluid. I'm (once again) a Toyota chauvinist, guess I like pink fluid: the Toyota stuff is pink, rated to -40 (F or C are about the same down there??), and $3.99 for 4 liters up here. There's a nice dipstick on the cap, no need to fill right up the neck, it'll take about a gallon.

Oh yeah: transaxle fluid. Very inconvenient to check level, and pretty much pointless, if it's done right to begin with. The main thing is to CHANGE it, an early change is good, then stretch the interval. More detail, and instruction, if you're interested. Do yourself a favour if you do a change: heed the Owner's Manual, only use GENUINE TOYOTA ATF WS.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my old Gen 1, I never saw either coolant level drop even a hair between changes (which I was doing every two years). My current Gen 3 (bought used last Spring) had the engine coolant a bit low when I bought it, but it has stayed right at the line so far since I changed it, so I suspect it might just have been filled a bit low by the last person to work on it.

In other words, my experience is that a healthy Prius engine just doesn't lose coolant at any noticeable rate, so if the level is lowered, that might indicate a leak beginning somewhere. But if you weren't the last person to fill it, possibly it just wasn't filled to the line exactly, so it may be sensible to just get it there first, and keep an eye on it for a while to see if it stays.

Getting the engine coolant to end up at the right level is a little interesting. There is an extra line labeled B that is above the max/full line. If you have drained and replaced the coolant, you fill to B before you go through the air bleed procedure, and at the end the level should be right down at the max/full line when the air is out. It worked out that way for me, with astonishing precision, when I changed and bled it.

If you are only topping up, not changing, then there oughtn't be air to bleed, and topping up just to the final full line should do the trick.

There's a complication checking the brake fluid level, because there is a pump that takes some of the fluid from the reservoir and stores it in a pressure vessel where you can't see it. Before checking the level in the reservoir, there's a "zero down" procedure you can request with Techstream; the car releases all the fluid from the pressure accumulator back to the reservoir so you can see the true level. Without Techstream, you can disconnect 12 volt power (so the pump can't run) and pump the brake pedal a couple dozen times to return all the fluid. The pedal should go noticeably from easy-pressing to nearly rock hard when the last of the accumulator pressure is used up. (This is back to the same way Gen 1 worked, while Gen 2 did things differently.)

If the brake pads are not new, it is normal for the true level to be below max.

After putting new pads in, it's proper to have the level at max, and it will drop slowly as the new pads wear.

As a kid, I used to just mash the caliper pistons back in when changing pads, forcing the old fluid back through the system and the level back up to max, but these days, with expensive ABS actuators, that's controversial. The concern is that any grot in the calipers and lines can be forced up into the actuator. The more cautious method is to open the caliper bleeder while mashing the piston back, so the displaced fluid just escapes ... then after all corners are done, just top the reservoir back up with fresh new fluid. You end up with a partial brake fluid change for no extra effort.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk and ElectricCarFan like this.
  6. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank you for the great information. I'll definitely be watching videos from NutzAboutBolts. I appreciate all of the information & incite you've provided. Its a big help.

I wouldn't imagine that it'd have any leaks in the system, but I could be wrong, you never know.

For the washer fluid I just threw some Rain-X in there and called it a day. I prefer Rain-X since then I don't have to run the wipers as much, which in tern will save me from having to replace wipers blades as often.

So, the coolant that the Inverter takes is the exact same Antifreeze coolant? Toyota doesn't bother to make two distinct coolants, they just use the same kind for both. I'm going to eventually order some Toyota Antifreeze online and then I can top both off. I found it on both ebay & amazon for around the $25 mark. Free shipping on ebay though. 1 Gallon Toyota-Scion Super Long Life Pink Antifreeze Coolant - OEM NEW! | eBay

The thing that I'm kind of worried about with the Transaxle is that, I bought the car at 183K miles and I don't see it in the Carfax or Toyota service website that the first owner ever changed it out. My dad and I changed out spark plugs and they were clearly overdue for a changing. They were original. The car ran perfectly, its just we felt it was worth it to change it. So I'm kind of thinking the original owner wouldn't have bothered with an Transaxle fluid change. I'm worried that if I drop the big bucks to get this done that then my Transaxle is going to die off soon after. I don't have the know-how or the means to do it myself and dealers around me all charge about $120-$200 to do it.All my life I've always been told to never change the fluid on an old car's transmission since it'll disturb it and and provoke failure. So I just don't know where to go on that front. I may have to save up a while and eventually get it done.

But, if the original owner never did it thus far in 183K of driving it, would it be advisable to get it done now? I think its supposed to be done at around 100K miles right? Its almost twice that now (albeit its only 6-7 years old).

I did call around for prices on the Transaxle fluid change though. One dealership told me on the phone when I called for a price quote that the Transaxle fluid never needs replacing. Then after I threw a few more questions at him, he mentioned that they'd only really do a Transaxle fluid change on an old Prius and certainly not on once that's 6-7 years old. So I was confused in the least.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is true that Toyota has never put a fluid change in the manual. Owner experience indicates rapid discoloration when new but repeated changes show little discoloration. As such, I use 30,000 miles, 90,000 miles, and then every 90,000 as intervals.

In true 'Automatic' Transmissions, the hydraulic shift logic is a series of very small passages, making it easy to clog and fail. The old wives tail is that flushing an older transmission can force gunk into the logic. The Prius never shifts and has no hydraulic logic. (It uses Electronics to control the Motor/Generators)

This is an example of Hydraulic logic in a normal Automatic. [​IMG]
    The Prius has no such tiny passages. So there is no risk to change the ATF at any age.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota says nothing about transaxle fluid change, in the maintenance schedule. The procedure is explained in the Repair Manual though. If the car had a typical owner, yeah it likely never has been changed. If you do change it, and I certainly would, take some old/new fluid pics if you get a chance, and post, would be interesting.

My take, the first change is most important, ie: the fluid gets dirty fast. Subsequently changes: you begin to wonder what the point was, the drained fluid stays much cleaner. FWIW, I did a change around 15K kilometers, 40K and 65K (one year, three year, and six year). At the first change it was markedly darker, but I don't know that I'll ever bother to do another, the last change it looked like new.

Merkey and ElectricCarFan like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I "sneak up" on the car, first thing in the morning, open the front passenger door, reach across and pop the hood, the level looks like this:

IMG_5943.JPG

If I then open and close the drivers door, a pump whirs and level drops to this:

IMG_5944.JPG

When I recently changed the fluid, since there was a lot of opening/closing of driver's door, I opted to restore level to the second condition, post driver's door opening, which in my case was right at that middle mark. The first case dances around, sometimes it's right near the top mark, sometimes a bit lower.

Think it's good, am keeping an eye on it.

#9 Mendel Leisk, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    zet and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I shop Amazon/EBay with the best of them, but for maintenance it never hurts to check your local dealership: they have everything you need. Checking my bills, I see I paid $19.14 (Canadian, in March 2015). In Canada it comes in a 4 liter bottle (slightly more than a US gallon), and (we get all the perks) it's 55% instead of 50%.

upload_2016-11-30_7-27-34.png

Toyota says nothing about transaxle fluid change, so dealerships will abide by that, throw up all sorts of explanation, mainly due to a lack of experience. Again, I would say the optimum schedule would be to change the transaxle fluid early in a Prius' life, say around the 1 year mark, with any decent amount of miles on the odometer, and subsequently stretch the change.

Check out @NutzAboutBolts video in the maintenance forum, for a hands-on demonstration on how straightforward it is. In post #8 I've attached the Repair Manual instruction.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    ElectricCarFan and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I changed the ATF in our 2010 Prius at 140k miles about 2 months ago (now have 144k and going strong). It came out dark black when it should be red. Should I have done it earlier? Debatable (which is what the bread and butter of any forum;)). If I did it again, would I have done it sooner? Probably. Does a difference in color mean the fluid has degraded? Not sure (I was a bad engineer and just dumped it rather than send it off for testing).

If I were you and considering some jobs to do before winter sets in, doing all 3 fluids is a good idea and is not time consuming (if you have your father help all 3 jobs can be accomplished in about 3-4 hours stopping for breaks in between). That's what it took when me and my old man did it in September. The drain plugs are hex heads, and getting a set at harbor freight is cheap and makes a nice addition to the work bench. They will be on there good, so be ready. The trick is getting the car level for the ATF drain and fill.

Good luck and keep us posted(y).

ElectricCarFan and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, the sockets you need, for both the fill and drain bolts, look like these:

upload_2016-11-30_7-50-2.png

You need the 10 mm size. Again, torque for both is 29 ft/lb. Breaking them loose is a LOT easier with a long handled ratchet wrench, say 18"ish. And kosher would be to use a fresh washer and torque when reinstalling. For sure remove the fill bolt first, just in case it's a fight. You don't want to remove the drain bolt, then find the fill bolt is stuck.

(One thing I miss about Honda: their transmission drain bolts (similarly) are socket cap screw, but have a 3/8" square recess, that you can just fit any ratchet wrench directly in, without special socket.)

ElectricCarFan likes this.
  13. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's a good point, I'm going to call a few dealers here in town tomorrow to compare prices.

Mendel Leisk likes this.