1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fluid on driver's side mat

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eseerc, May 19, 2014.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe just condensation dripping from a hole in an AC duct. But you stated that AC isn't used. :confused:

SCH-I535

2. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would open up the 2 cover pieces on the console to look. The black triangular cover for the shifter and the long piece that hold the cup holder. There are no screws; they are just clipped on. Shine a flash light in there to trace the source (if that is the source).

(Edit: apparently after a good night sleep, I realized I was talking about the wrong area yesterday....my bad :) )

3. acceleraptor

acceleraptor Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That first image looked like it had a yellowish cast to it. Brake fluid? That's the only fluid container in the engine compartment on the LH side that that has a yellowish kind of fluid.
    [​IMG]
    That does look watery though..

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes but the brake lines run under the floor pans, not through the cabin.

VS980 4G ?

5. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Heater core. Happened to me one year on a B210 Datsun. It was an older, used Datsun, but when the hose carrying the "coolant" that goes to the heater core inside the cabin started leaking, coolant ended up all over the floorboards. Sure does look like water.

Luckily, spotted the overheating engine with the engine temp gauge just about the same time the wet floorboards got noticed, and this running down an interstate in eastern Kansas. (Long, flat road with serious miles between intersections). Had just passed an exit with a truck stop, pulled a U-turn, limped back, and the nice mechanic on duty managed to replace the hose and refill the coolant.

Cars are cars. Bet you got a loose hose up in there somewhere.

KBeck.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I guess it is time to start taking the interior panels off to trace to the source.......;)

7. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ask Patrick Wong, maybe he will know.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just remembered, when I did my PCV valve I had to remove a drain pan from right where the windshield wipers are. It runs the entire length of the windshield and it could collect a lot of water if it's not draining properly. I wonder if any of that water can make it's way into your cabin? Just a thought........

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You just remembered a very factible topic for the drainage issue. Take your time and reconnect the drain hose in the whipper's cowl.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not the OP that has the problem :). I did it on a GenII but I'm suspecting GenIII is similar

11. sumguy

sumguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Washed the car or heavy rains recently?? Maybe you have a bad weatherseal somewhere and the water is gradually working its way out of. just a wild guess.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As far as heater core leak Check the level of engine coolant. Not in the overflow but by unscrewing the radiator cap under the cover. Should be to the line in the overflow and to the top of the rad cap itself. If low suspect the heater core has a leak.

Then remove the rear hatch to get to the spare tire. Look under the tire and see if any water has gotten into the well. You may have a chassis leak. Water seems to get to the lowest part in a prius the tire well.

Tell me you bought the car used and it was in an accident previously.

13. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. If the drain hose is stopped up, usually spider webs, then it will fill every where it can before emptying on the mats. The first time I ever "coat hangered" one out I got a face full of what seemed like a pint of cold water. I would suspect this first.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He does not use the ac he's a window guy.

15. eseerc

eseerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    **UPDATE**

I opted to try to clean out/ suck out the AC drain hose a few days ago. Since then, I have had no water issues on my floor mat. I can't remember the last time I ran the AC, but a bunch of water did flow out when I initially disconnected the hose. Hopefully this did the trick. I still have no idea how the water would end up on the driver's side if this was the culprit...

Thanks for all of the input.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thought you were a window guy?

Anyway the reason that gets clogged is it needs to be maintained. The e-coil box is getting funked up too.

The dealer sells a 2 can cleaner kit. One can has special hose on it that attaches to the end of the hose you just cleaned out. Pump the pressurized foamy microbial cleaner out of the can it fills up the e-coil box and cleans the coils and then drips back out as liquid.

I do it once a year. Makes the car smell nice and keeps the box free of fungi and keeps the hose clean. You must have noticed the car smells like gym socks.

Dealer charges $100 otd but sells the 2 cans for $25 over parts counter. Someone found a cheaper version on Amazon.

The other can is really strong old lady perfume your supposed to shoot in the vents. Its disgusting so i skip that part.