1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fluids

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by beachgeek, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I added windshield wiper fluid and noticed there appear to be four other places with fluid. One is clearly antifreeze and one indicates it has to do with the hybrid engine. Both of those are red. The two others are dark. One looks like it needs fluid. It's behind the one indicating hybrid. Is there a photo or drawing of what's what? I found a photo online but it doesn't tell me what's what. I found info in the manual but it doesn't tell me what's what.

2. SamuelB

SamuelB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mine are more pinkish. As I understand it there are two coolant systems...one for the engine, the other for the hybrid inverter system. Mine are just at the lower level marker so I got to investigate about filling them. Toyota says to use their specific coolant. I need to find out what most do so any suggestions would be appreciated. I was wondering if I could just add a little water to bring their levels up a little? Another reservoir will be for brake fluid. That is a brownish color.

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I remember Toyota coolant is premixed. I would not add just water unless it is an emergency.

4. SamuelB

SamuelB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to check and make sure you have the right coolant. From what I see Toyota Super Long Life Coolant is recommended for Prius. It is pink. If yours is truly red you may have the wrong coolant.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Someone posted a TSB that said either the old red that you mix with water or the pink premixed are both fine to use.

6. SamuelB

SamuelB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is the only one I can find that is labeled "Super Long Life" as recommended by Toyota. It is premixed. I have not found any undiluted that is labeled "Super Long Life." 1bb.jpg

This one is undiluted but is labeled "Long Life." So is this the same as "Super Long Life?"
    1bbb.jpg

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No they are different ;).

Long life is the “red coolant” and is not the same:cool:.

Always good to ask prior to use(y).

8. SamuelB

SamuelB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Found this:
    "Toyota Long Life (red fluid) and Super Long Life (pink fluid) are completely different. Super Long Life (pink) contains sebacic acid -- a standard extended-drain-interval organic-acid technology for Asian car makes. Long Life (red) contains benzoate instead -- a more traditional standard-drain-interval corrosion inhibitor found in traditional antifreeze. It also contains phosphates -- preferred by Asian car makers for their instant corrosion-inhibition benefits. It doesn't contain 2-EHA, avoided by Asian car makers because of potential harm on gaskets and seals.

Pink (Super Long Life) fluid is safe for newer Toyotas/Hondas but unsafe for older Toyotas/Hondas that have copper/brass/lead metals (such as OEM heater cores or certain aftermarket radiators) and it shouldn't be used in such older Toyotas/Hondas."
    Toyota red long life & pink super long life same? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

So it would seem if your coolant is red it may be wrong

Bluegrassman and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ALL my fluids todate were put in by Toyota when they changed the oil so whatever color it is I want to believe it is ok. Now I'm looking for a service place but, in the interim, I'd like to know what those containers hold and if I am in imminent danger of suddenly having no fluid for something important.

In another thread it says I should never have to worry about fluids. They are lifetime. Is that correct?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    incorrect, not sure what thread or who stated that.

so, you get a maintenance schedule with your car that has all the fluid change intervals.

you have engine coolant, inverter coolant, brake fluid

11. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you are saying I should have gotten a maintenance schedule...maybe I should have but I don't believe I did. They told me to come in every six months until I got to 50,000 after which I'm on my own. I got to 50,000. I'd prefer not to go back to the dealer for a long list of reasons but I should know what I need to check and to look for in finding a replacement. I have four containers I can see under the hood (not counting the washer fluid). If there was a diagram for under the hood it would help.

bisco likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the brake fluid reservoir, and I would leave that alone. Unless you're leaking fluid (which rarely if ever would happen), you do not want to "top that up". It's level will drop as brake pads wear, and come back up when the brake caliper pistons are pushed back in to accomodate new (thicker) pads. A perdiodic brake fluid replacement IS a good idea, but that's a different topic.

Did you get two books? In the US there's an "Owner's Manual" and the "Warranty and Maintenance Guide". The latter has the maintenance schedule, in event-by-event format, which is a bit of a pain. If you're missing that booklet, you can download at Toyota Tech Info, in the "Manuals" section.

I've done a summary of the 3rd gen Prius US schedule, which I believe is identical:

upload_2019-3-27_10-55-40.png

Attached Files:

#12 Mendel Leisk, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    beachgeek and bisco like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cobbled something:

upload_2019-3-27_11-11-3.png

Attached Files:

beachgeek and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you missed the blinker fluid reservoir :p

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sorry to hear that. most dealers are pretty bad, but every 6 months for 50,000 miles is one of the most egregious recommendations i've ever heard of.
    you're smart not to go back unless absolutely necessary.

beachgeek likes this.
  16. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Perfect. Thank you. No maintenance schedule book (but manuals for things I didn't have). I will download that. The original question did apply to the brake fluid container.

17. SamuelB

SamuelB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh man....that one is kind of hidden. I almost didn't notice but mine was getting critically low. I hate to think what would of happened if air got in the line. I tend to signal early so I guess I burn through fluid faster

Air_Boss and bisco like this.
  18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How about the harness smoke reservoir? Hybrid/electric cars must have a massive reserve.

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not wanting to rile up any arguments, I found the TSB regarding coolant interchangeability. I guess one is longer life than the other, but they are compatible.

Attached Files: