1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FLYAUDIO $499 + shipping

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by prius2010II, Oct 12, 2011.

1. teiresias

teiresias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I asked this earlier, but no one posted the info, so I figure I'll ask again.

Does this unit allow access to podcasts on an iPod without having to convert the podcasts into "albums" before putting them on the iPod. If they're listed under Podcasts on the iPod are they accessible on the unit?

Also, does this unit show album art (not a huge deal, but definitely a nice feature if it's there).

I'm basically trying to decide whether getting the Advent unit is worth the extra $500 or not over the Flyaudio.

2. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The unit's software can be seen on youtube search for flyaudio. The lexus guys have the same software in the flyaudio if you don't see any prius screen videos.

The unit does not do album art from my Ipod touch 4g. Very basic user interface.
    I don't use podcast so can't help there.
    If you want a more sophisticated user interface for ipods like Kenwood or other name brands then they start around $900 and a few require extra $$ cables.

The units strong points are low cost, OEM radio face, good basic functionallity like NAV (many NAV software options), DVD, IPod, bluetooth, aux input and steering wheel buttons plug and play connection. No PAC or other modules need to be added.
    Tho I do notice a half sec delay on the steering buttons for changing options.

Would I buy the unit again? For the price yes.
    My only complaint and it might be a general complaint with all touch screens. The screen is not as sensitive when it's cold.
    Real buttons would help in cold weather and cold fingers.

my2cents.

3. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    will my stock backup camera work after I install the flyaudio navigation ???

4. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    If you mean the one in the mirror; yes, no problem.
    It's a completely independant system. Works for me.

5. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    how come with the ottinovi one the stock camera won't work ?

6. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The stock camera is only fitted to cars with the factory nav system, AFAIK, so my guess is that it has a custom connector, or maybe its wiring is part of a multipin connector in the loom, which means some sort of adapter might be needed to get the signal into an aftermarket head unit. If you were to persevere you could probably find the right connections and get the stock camera to work, I'd guess.

I doubt that many people replace the factory nav with something like the Ottonavi or Flyaudio units, either, so there would only be a tiny market for any commercially produced camera adapter lead or box..

The Camry camera is cheap and fits well, like it's made for the job in fact, so it's cheaper and simpler to just fit one of those in my view.

7. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Just to make it clear...

My 2011 (Canadian) car came with a stock camera showing in the mirror. It didn't come with a NAV system. Didn't want it!
    So the FLYAUDIO can be installed but the stock camera will still show in the mirror when in reverse. (Which I prefer anyway because it's safer IMO)
    Of course one could try to redirect the camera to the Flyaudio unit but I don't know if this has been done or if it will work. Should though.

8. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hey bulle

was the install for the flyaudio easy ?

i'm looking to purchase it soon :)

9. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    im installing the fly audio system, when installing the plastic that goes around the radio ,it dont line up with the heater controls,seems like the radio is out to far
    i removed the dimple thats interfering with it, any ideas anyone

10. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I suggest you see the pictures I posted last month. You probably need to change the holes you used for the brackets. You need to reposition them and only use two bolts.

[​IMG] See post #64 for better pictures.

11. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    got it all done fits perfect, i mounted the bracket to the radio using the top foward hole and elongated the rest of the holes to fit worked perfect
    the unit itself blows away the stock radio for sound, navigation goes right on and seems to be very quick,didnt have to set anything up for the nav to work, the toyota emblem was already on the screen, color match ill give it a 9.9 out of 10, so far were very happy with our purchase of the flyaudio, tommorow we will go out and play with the radio to set up blue tooth

12. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Yes. Super easy. Except may be the brackets which for some reason I had to find a way to make them work. Xpcman had the same problem; look at the nice pictures he put in the previous post.

13. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Only drawback for me with this unit is there is no support for Audio Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) and the GPS is not always locking (may be because I put it on top of the unit... not sure about that). I do like however the fact that we have firmware for it and that it supports Windows apps.
    But I'm still undecided if I want to keep this unit...

14. foedoe56

foedoe56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does the phone buttons on the steering wheel still work with the fly audio HU? How about the speak button does it also work or not?

15. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    The 2 phone buttons work perfectly. Voice button does nothing.
    No voice recognition on this unit anyway.

16. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    does the unit come with all the tools needed to remove the original radio dock out ?

and all the plastic coverings ?

17. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    NO tools and minimal instructions . You will need two metric sockets and a 4 to 6 inch extension. It's also wise to get a nylon pry bar to remove the plastic trim. I suggest you view the video that I posted before. It's all one unit that replaces the existing radio and surrounding plastic.

You need both a 10mm and 8mm socket and a 6 inch extension to remove the Prius radio and side brackets. A phillips screw-driver can be used for the 8mm side bracket. You will also need two small male bullet wire plugs if you want to connect to the harness plugs for "brake" and "backup" lines and some extra wire to find a grounding location.

18. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What size or part number are the bullet plugs. I can't find them at pep boys? Where can I get them?

19. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    are the 4 to 6 inch extension for both the 8mm and 10mm sockets ?

I don't understand the " the harness plugs for "brake" and "backup" lines and some extra wire to find a grounding location"

Also, if I have the jbl adapter how do i install that ?

thanks

20. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The extension is needed for the 10MM bolts only. There are two wires that need to be connected that are not part of the Toyota plugs. One is the "brake" wire that allows the DVD to be only played while the parking brake is set (most of us disable it by grounding the wire to a bolt in the center console you need extra wire to do this). The second wire connects to the backup lights and activates the rearview camera (if you plan to install it).

I would say if you don't understand "socket wrench" or "extensions" then you are not qualified to do the installation.

I don't have the JBL option. I assume the JBL amp under the seat has a bunch of extra wires. The adapter allows these wires to be connected And modifies the audio line levels so that everything works. I see that some people have reported in other threads that you may need to connect it the first time with the volume set to max (or min I don't remember) to get it to work correctly. Search "JBL" to find these posts.

Do not start or READY the car with any of the plugs disconnected. The panel with the ECO POWER buttons needs to be connected or you will get the "check hybrid system" error message.