1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Flying and aviation stuff

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Mar 14, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

My other hobby is flying, specifically rebuilding N19WT. But there there is the missing, Malaysia Airlines Flight and some aviation medical news. The missing airliner remains a mystery so my wife asked me what might have happened.

My current fear is a pilot suicide:
    • locked cabin door - a good thing to block hijacking but gives them complete control.
    • stopped ordinary communications - especially the transponder because it reports altitude and modern ones, direction. Modern transponders are part of a system where plane-to-plane communication identifies collision risks.
    • use oxygen mask and depressurize the plane - this incapacitates the rest of the crew and passengers.
    • ditching on the ocean - this keeps the plane intact so when it sinks, there is are no floating debris.
    • delayed or no claiming credit - the maximum effect comes not from an early claim but a late or deferred claim . . . or no claim at all. But a suicide does not have to 'leave a note.'
    Aviation is a mix of old and new technology. So our standard, air cooled engines are still sold with magnetos just like all engines were 100 years ago. But one thing that this incident suggests is in a world of satellite and cell technology, it is long past time where the flight-proven but out-of-date technology be replaced:
    1. replace radios with cell phone technology - this allows both text, voice, and recorded voice in devices that cost a fraction of the bandwidth wasting, voice-only, 2 meter radios of today. On a busy day, radio communications has more in common with an auctioneers banter than sensible communications. Just outlaw the aviation band and give it to cell phone and internet companies.
    2. replace VORs with GPS based navigation - for budget reasons, the FAA is finally starting to retire VORs. GOOD BYE!
    3. engines and propellers - my short list: geared, adjustable pitch prop with integrated engine controller; electronic fuel injection; single thrust controller, and; recorded engine metrics.
    4. inflight metric broadcast - listen before talk, let plane-to-plane communications handle near collision avoidance and use ATC for 'beyond line of sight' coordination, especially airport sequencing.
    NASA, the FAA, and the EAA all know the problems out-dated technology causes. Yet, 'flight proven' means our airplanes often have more in common with 1920s technology. <grumble grumble grumble> BTW, NASA is also looking for the plane. I'm hoping to hear the various Navies will send submarine and anti-submarine technology to the search area looking for the black box pings.

Aviation medicine may change, something that I have personal experience with. November 5, 3:00 AM, I was in the ER being treated for a drug allergy when the treatment triggered a sudden, slow heart-beat. I passed out on the examination table while connected to the machine 'that goes ping.'
    [​IMG]
    Then they noticed I had atrial fibrillation (AFIB), which was not recorded when I was first connected to the ER monitor. . . . OPPS!

The FAA has a series of specific steps required after an AFIB event:
    • wait 90 days
    • 24-hour, 12 channel, Holter study
    • complete heart work up to detect any structural problems
    I'm in the process of gathering my medical records for a visit to a flight medical examiner. I know that when I follow through, pending Congressional legislation might change the private pilot medical to a driver's license. Although I have a vested interest, it also draws attention to how little coordination there is between medical care and a driver's license medical.

To lose one's driving license for medical reasons, the threshold is pretty low. The driver has to either be caught by a cop in an accident, a traffic stop or a physician has to 'be afraid of the patient driving a car.' My favorite was the brew-haha over eye testing of older drivers.

There was a proposal that older drivers have an eye examination and the AARP and other retired people groups were up in arms. But my thought was every driver should have an eye examination and possibly short-form, 5-6 question, medical survey with every driver license renewal. Based upon age, every 10 years under 60 and every 5 years after starting Social Security.

So anyway, I'm having a slow night but thought to share some random musing about aviation.

Bob Wilson

ftl and JimboPalmer like this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not even rated to fly an 8.5 x 11 paper airplane, but I'm really having a hard time believing that a triple-seven can go missing for a week with a continent-sized area of uncertainty regarding its location.

I'm having some trouble with the suicide-by-airplane theory.
    Why did the guy or THOSE guys in the front office turn the transponders off? If the pilot wanted to do an EgyptAir Flight 990, then why bother with stealth?

Aren't there more than one O2 systems on this bird?
    I can almost buy the depressurization scenario, but again to what end?

We'll see in the end no doubt.
    My favorite conspiracy theory?

Publicity Stunt for a follow-on to the series Lost!

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, me and the Eveready Battery Bunny (rabbit type, not Playboy centerfold) have a thing going--I'm "battery powered" too! Just had my fourth pacemaker maker installed.

JOKE:
    Q: Why do people with pacemakers need TWO medical doctors?
    A: Because they need a Cardiologist to install them, but need a Proctologist to replace the batteries (wink,wink)!

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's certainly long, confusing and deeply unsatisfying so far. So that would fit.

Thanks for starting this. It's a very weird story, and I was thinking I should start a thread if no-one else did.

I can certainly see the suicide argument: it is all sounding a bit SilkAir 185 so far.

The other thing it reminds me of is Helios 522, but I don't know enough about the similarities in air supply between a 777 and a 737 to know whether that's even possible.

Ditching a 777 on the ocean would be very hard, I'd have thought. Looking at that Ethiopian 767 ditching, the problem always seems to be the engines hanging under the wings. I think Chesley Sullenberger got away with it because A320 engines are smallish and don't hang too low (and because it was a smooth river rather than a wavy ocean), but a 777's engines hang so low I think they'd make an intact ditching just about impossible. I've always thought that if I had to ditch, I'd want to be in something smooth-bottomed like an MD80.

But an intact ditching would explain the lack of debris.

As you know, I get the Beijing-Shanghai train a lot. It travels at just under 200mph, so nowhere near as fast as a commercial jet. And I find that my cellphone is useless: it can't handle the regular high-speed handover from cell to cell.

So I'm not sure cellphone technology would work. But a satellite-based system would, and I'd have thought it would be cost-effective these days. And a regular burst of GPS and aeroplane date transmitted over the satellite system would help everyone track where planes are and what's going on. And I don't see any reason to make it possible for pilots to disable this.

The whole thing is bloody weird though.

The Chinese press is getting increasingly annoyed with Malaysia. It's absolutely beyond them how Malaysia has managed not to notice whether or not a big shiny 250-foot long plane did or did not enter and/or leave its airspace. If I were the Indonesian, Filipino, Singaporean or Thai air force, I'd remember that fact in case hostilities ever broke out: it seems that an invasion of Malaysia would be extremely easy.

At least they bought the shamans in yesterday, with their coconuts, magic sticks and magic binoculars. That should solve everything.

With satellites unsuccessful in plane search, Malaysian shaman tries coconuts

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The suicidal pilot or hijack hypothesis is beginning to make more sense:
    Source: Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: More sinister theories, still no answers - CBS News

I find the 'plane landed' hypothesis implausible because in a world of spy satellites, it would require a jet-sized runway and a 777-sized hangar, which are not that common. Granted, large, heavy jets can land on a dry lake bed, any flat, hard surface, but again, not that common. But ditching the plane, a controlled water landing makes a lot of sense.

Assuming the plane does not break up beyond stripping the engines, it would leave little or no debris. Burn off the fuel and there would be very small or no fuel slick. The plane simply fills with water and sinks to the bin Laden level.

Bob Wilson

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just seen a report on my phone suggesting that it might have risen to 45,000 feet soon after the transponders were switched off - which is well above what a 777 is approved for, and then dropped to 21,000 near Penang.

And it's headed in a potentially interesting direction - towards the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. I remember hearing ages ago that these islands are very sparsely inhabited, and that the local people have no contact at all with the modern world. The Indian government oversees them, and planes and boats are not allowed to go anywhere near them in case the presence of something so modern confuses the locals. So I don't know how that could affect things.

There are also some extremely deep bits of the ocean there. If whoever was flying the plane wanted to hide the evidence, maybe they specifically chose an area where you could sink a plane thousands of feet and make it almost impossible to find.

And the 45,000-ft thing could tie in with what you mentioned about starving the passengers and crew of oxygen: I assume you could do it even more quickly and easily up there.

Hmmm.

7. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    To find a runway long enough for a large jet is not that difficult on an island in south Pacific and south east Asia left behind by the Japanese in WWII.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Insanity does not take away the person's intellect so they easily can plan and execute a Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech shooting. Given the skills exhibited in taking this flight, I can easily believe one of the pilots went over the edge.

I remember a young Marine in 1974 who passed from sane to insane in less than three days. He called and asked me to come visit his apartment where he announced: he had written some Louis L'Amour paperbacks, because his arm ached, I had injected him with something, and; I was conspiring with his parents to control his life (I was sergeant at the time.) It was as if a switch had been thrown and he was totally immersed in his fantasy world.

So a sudden and unpredictable switch to insanity by either one of the pilots but especially the younger one is entirely credible.

Bob Wilson

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today they are saying evidence defintiely indicates hijacking by crew or others.
    Until today, I thought it could be fuel tank explosion like TWA800 - many similar factors.

Well, at least we solved one mystery...cops yesterday picked up apparent serial killer who may have shot 3 Alexandria prominent citizens. He had mental disorder, and had been fringe candidate for mayor twice.

10. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah,the news did mention the 777 had enough fuel to fly 8k miles. That covers parts of Africa, Yemen, Iraq - area that are breeding grounds for terrorist activities. Or, whoever was in control of the aircraft ditched it at sea.

Time will tell.

I pray for the victims and their families for ever passing minute, hour, day must feel like going through hell.

DBCassidy

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do transponders have an off switch? In light of recent developments, perhaps it would be better if they didn't.

As for final destination, my wild nice person guess in North Korea. Yes, that's crazy, but no less so than a whole plane just vanishing.

12. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the plane has landed, the question is: how will the aircraft be repurposed?

DBCassidy

13. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's stripped inside and loaded with explosives and turned it into a BIG, piloted, under-the-radar, conventional explosives, cruise missile.

So, that they can be cycled ON/OFF to identify a single A/C amongst many nearby A/C...and, to re-cycle embedded "codes" that are supposed to change automatically (think rebooting your computer).

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, that makes sense.

Still, there should be some way to make the things idiot-proof.

15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ah, thank you. I'd been wondering this too.

hyo silver likes this.
  16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree 100% with you except the rush looking for a black box. If the pilot knew how to disable transponders, he knew how to pull fuses on flight recorders.

see this incident of pilot suicide:
    SilkAir Flight 185 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This pilot learned from the SilkAir incident, combined it with the knowledge from Helios experience and wanted to pull off a perfect untraceable airplane disappearance. He almost pulled it off, except for the satellite ping. Sadly, there is a chance plane will be never discovered (depth and vastness of Indian ocean west to Australia).

Here are the lessons from this and similar accidents:

1. As planes became very safe mechanically, the crew emerged as a major safety thread.
    2. Every commercial plane should have GPS trackers (as private planes and trucks have).
    3. Transponders, tracking devices, and black boxes should be electrically isolated from the main power supply and not switchable by the aircrew, but only ground crew.
    4. Do more profiling of the pilots and screen them better for mental problems, gambling problems, investment losses, too high or too new life insurance, extremist links, etc. They are doing this only now after the fact.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all speculation, and those who know aren't talking, for one reason or another. I can understand a crash, and I can understand a hijacking slash terrorism, but I don't see why someone would go to so much time and trouble to kill themselves. If that were their aim, there are far simpler and quicker ways.

18. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not for a pilot. Pilots like to use planes in suicides. Besides, some people like to go with as many people as they can.

ASN News &raquo; List of aircraft accidents caused by pilot suicide

19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it can't be proved to be suicide, his family should still get the life-insurance payout. So there's certainly a reason to go to all that effort.

I think the only way this story could get any weirder now is if the plane turns up, without passengers or crew, in an uninhabited bit ofTurkmenistan or Western Australia or somewhere.

20. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Or someone might have tried (or succeeded) to pull off a DB Cooper.