1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FM Radio Running

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Andrei Rusnac, Jul 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Andrei Rusnac

Andrei Rusnac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a 2016 Prius with 510053 head unit. I'm trying to manually tune the stations but I have a technical issue. For example, I want to tune into 88.6 FM but the radio can tune into 88.5 or 88.7 FM.
    How can I solve this issue? Any help appreciated.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what head unit I've got (there are a few different ones around the world) - this is a photo of it:

upload_2018-7-2_10-23-19.png

Does it tune correctly to other stations? Mine is tuned mainly to stations like 106.1, 103.7, 96.5 etc - except for 87.6 which works fine.

3. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Moldova is in the crazy in between situation, old Eastern Block countries had been using different FM channels that Russia pushed, slowly those channels are being converted over to the more standard odd channels. Not sure that Toyota makes specific radios for those countries, but was the Prius purchased at a Toyota dealer in Moldova?

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you have a FM unit designed to get EVEN SPACED, 101.2, 95.8 etc., you are OUT OF LUCK. Standard spacing is ODD, 101.7, 95.5 etc! There are radios made for ODD & EVEN spacing, but I doubt there is one from Toyota! Good Luck on this one!!

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Navigation Receiver Assembly with ID 510053 is mainly sold in North America, where FM broadcast stations have channels spaced every 200 kHz (0.2 MHz). I’m not aware of an option to change its tuning parameters. This isn’t needed in the target markets, where stations aren’t authorized to use center frequencies like 88.6 MHz.
    That’s true in North America, but in much of the world, channel spacing of 100 kHz is standard; see Rec. ITU-R BS.412-9, Planning standards for terrestrial FM sound broadcasting at VHF, clause 3.
    The textbook answer would be to replace the head unit with a Radio and Display Receiver Assembly like those found on Prius cars originally sold in Europe. I believe this has ID 510033 and Toyota part number 86140-47350. It’s probably also fairly expensive, unless you can find one secondhand or in a junkyard.

In other PriusChat threads, people have described how they’ve replaced head units with aftermarket radios and navigation systems, while keeping the backup camera. Another option would be to keep the existing head unit and connect an inexpensive, battery-operated FM receiver to the AUX input port.

In principle, there might be a way to modify the software to change the tuning behavior, or to install the European software on the 510053 head unit. I haven’t looked into this, and considering how few people would be interested, I’d be surprised if anyone else has, either.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is both ODD and EVEN - but appears to be a different model. Maybe to give odd/even to cover our local stations.

7. Andrei Rusnac

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, it was bought from an used cars local dealer that shipped it from the US.

Do you know where can I get the firmware for the radio? I searched the official updates and couldn't find a release about this.
    Also do you know the installation procedure? Is it like a regular .kwi update file?

----------
    Also there is an odd thing about the measuring units displayed. I have the option switch between MPG and L/100km which works properly. But switching the temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius still displays it in Fahrenheit (not an actual issue, but not so comfortable because of we are used to Celsius metric system)

8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you’re looking for the unmodified firmware for the 510053 unit, it seems to be available at this writing from Toyota Downloads, if you select PRIUS, 2016, WITH NAVIGATION. The file is 13TDANNA-DA11_0146.kwi, 168,557,309 bytes. The installation instructions are on that site, too. Note that this firmware has the 200 kHz tuning step, which is correct for the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

I don’t have any information about the European firmware, aside from what’s on toyota-tech.eu.
    See this previous posting; it’s unlikely to be fixed without replacing the combination meter circuit plate.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. Andrei Rusnac

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, but I already used this update before writing this post.
    Thanks for the resource. I'll try the map updates from this site and will update about the result.

Elektroingenieur likes this.