1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Foam panels under trunk?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Emahjin, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Emahjin

Emahjin New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I'm considering removing half the foam panel so I can stow some jumper cables and miscellaneous things next to or in the spare to maximize what little trunk space there is. The only problem is, I'm not sure what the long term effects might be on the flimsy trunk mat (sagging). Any thoughts on this?

2. tlhamon

tlhamon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe this is obvious, but stow what you want to stow, then put a blanket or bubble wrap on top of the items and make it high enough to support the platform. As long as you don't put anything heavy on that side, it should suffice.

3. ChuckGVT

ChuckGVT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to get rid of that foam and make something that will support the cargo area, yet free up all that room. I'll be working on it because I can't stand wasted space.

ChinchillaGirl and -CC- like this.
  4. ThatTallGuy

ThatTallGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any chance somebody could post a pic of the area in question?

5. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe you could cut a sheet of plywood to size. Then cut out a piece and slap some piano hinges on it for access. Let the flap lay on top of the spare for support. You could use the cargo matt to trace onto the plywood to get the right size.

But there's not really a lot of room next to the spare. And you'd want to coat the metal with something so it doesn't get scratched up.

6. ChuckGVT

ChuckGVT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After looking at this the problem that I see is that there is no lip on the sides of the cargo area that would support a sight platform and allow you to remove the large foam pieces. Poor design on Toyota's part. Gen 3 Prius has a much better design in this area.

minkus likes this.
  7. tlhamon

tlhamon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Another possibility that occurs to me based on what someone else said would be to use some plywood and mount a 2"x2" that will rest on the rim of the spare to support the center of the platform. Should be sturdy enough to handle most things laid on top of it.

8. Wildfire

Wildfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Then we only have a couple more generations to go before we get a good solution.. :D

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i 2nd for a pic.

i could make a little platform for you. material isn't too expensive. i noticed you're in los angeles.

did they do away with the plastic flooring? i assume it's the same thing as the other prius. if there is no cargo area, then it probably touches the tire or something under there or else needs no bracing. (i've put extreme amounts of weight on my cargo floor and it's only supported by the edges)

10. arlotone

arlotone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same thought. I'm attaching some pictures, but it's kind of hard to see what's going on. You lift the panels and it looks like there's lots of empty space in and around the spare tire. Then you realize that the foam panels are molded with protuberances that exactly fill all of those spaces.

I was thinking about cutting away the middle pieces that extend down into the middle of the spare tire, but I'm guessing their purpose is to keep the weight of your cargo on the metal part of the wheel and off the tire.

I didn't even think about how thick the panels themselves are and how much space that uses up!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah they definitely could have made a deeper floor which would've been awesome and more in line with the Honda Fit, BUT, then they would have had to redesign the back seat because they wouldn't be level when folded down kind of like the Nissan Versa which would probably be annoying.

12. arlotone

arlotone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For the record, the seats aren't totally level in the c anyway -- the trunk area is about 1-2" lower than the back of the folded seats.

13. beerme

beerme Repeat Offender

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Even with the foam pieces in place, I was able to unwind my jumper cables a bit and get them stuffed in what space there was. Not a lot of room to wiggle, but it can be done.

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but as of now it's very minimal. It would be more pronounced if they got rid of the foam things and created the deeper floor.

15. los panda

los panda Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i am very interested in creating something to replace the foam; i am trying to determine a strong/light material.

veneer plywood? is there a better option for weight and strength?

16. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not just modify the foam :eek:

17. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

We promptly replaced both panels to make room for tools required 'just in case'. There is a lot of room. Just keep the foam pads for end of ownership. If you haul a lot of tools you may want to substitute air lifts for the rear shocks. I believe Monroe MA 890's are direct repalacements but check prior posts to be sure. We've done that on a couple of Prissys and on dozens of other cars dating back to the severnties. Also useful if you haul some heavyweight passengers too. zYes, they are racxe sopeed proven.check you tube. If you don't make the plastic boxes even at top make a stiff thin plastic panel to fit on top so the trunk is flat.

18. los panda

los panda Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    would you mind posting some photos of what you have done? what materials did you use?

19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do you work for Monroe? If not you should.

20. priusea

priusea New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Is there somewhere or someplace where I can buy these foam panels (extras)?