1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB battery replacement - how & when

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by john1701a, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, Patrick. I'm assuming there will be no reprogramming issues.

2. Crazytwoknobs

Crazytwoknobs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tips from having changed two just moments ago:

1. The clip needs to be wiggled a little, so what I ended up doing on the second one was pushing it ALL the way open, wiggling everything I could with it open, letting it loose, and then the second time you move the latch, it's much easier.

2. CR2032 batteries are the same as in your desktop computer's motherboard. It's the battery that keeps the clock going when the computer is unplugged, and keeps some other memory type things going. You CAN steal one from your computer, it'll just need one to start up next time (or if your'e REALLY REALLY REEEAAAALY cheap, a piece of metal/foil jammed in place of it). If you choose not to replace the battery, the clock and possibly some other functions might need to be re-set. Or you can order them online or hit up Harbor Freight, they can be found for ~$0.50 if you buy a bunch.

3. Pushing on the opposite edge may help. Don't use a screwdriver, it'll slip and cut your finger.... blood everywhere...

4. Make sure you're aware of the location of your Prius. You'll probably hit the panic button if your battery isn't dead. I had an "Oh, s*** that's me!" moment while doing the first battery replacement.

3. jjforbes

jjforbes New Member

My fob is dead. I downloaded the Prius User guide. They are excellent photos, however you do not tell how to remove the protective door. I attempted to force a knife edge into the seam, but could not get it open. I will be grateful for any help. Thank you.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Remove the mechanical key by holding the little latch in the open position, then pull the key out of the fob.

2. While holding the latch in the open position with a finger of one hand, slide the cover off with the thumb of your other hand.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it can be stick if you have never opened it. my o4 took some 'persuasion'. no, i'm not talking hammer or pipe wrench.:eek:

6. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ** Also, you must slide the cover off with your thumb on the Toyota emblem, NOT on the outer ridge. Do this, and it comes off really easily.

7. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a wonderful forum. I have been getting a short beep everytime I shut the prius down for the last few weeks. Today, it wouldn't start without putting the fob in the dash! I came to the conclusion the battery in the fob was out of juice.

I came here today and easily found the procedure to remove and replace the fob batery. I was under the impression that once the battery came out, the fob had to be re-programmed by toyota. Glad to see I was mistaken!

Thanks!

8. Notbob

Notbob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Richard. You saved me time and headache.

9. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

Here is a little how to YouTube:

nh7o, Rokeby, sirons3 and 4 others like this.
  10. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

This was the first time I replaced the battery. So, I used my camera to record it, hence the fumbling around at times... just as anyone would. It took less than four minutes. No programming issues, worked perfectly.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bravo sir! Beautifully done: language free and perfectly clear.

12. Ozzyprv

Ozzyprv New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Excellent post. It helped me a lot! Thanks.

13. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting. The two fobs we have for our 2010 Prius II seem to be a different design than what Nda3rdCar posted in the video. On ours, I can open my 2010 fob using just the slide out mechanical key.

1. Press the little side button to release the mech key.
    2. Look at the bottom edge of the fob near where you just pulled the mech key out from. Just to the bit over from where the mech key slide out is a little slot, exactly the size of the tip of the mech key.
    3. Stick the mech key tip into this slot and twist the key. The fob case should pop apart along the seams.

14. fga1939

fga1939 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings,
    Since my FOB was very tight, I had to pry it open using a thin, wide blade, flat screw driver at the line between the cover and the body below the Toyota logo while pushing in the latch as far as it would go. Once open, I cleaned the surfaces with a Q tip, especially that of the latch cog sticking out. Then I put a very, very light smear of vasoline on the mating surfaces and latch cog and closed the FOB. After that, #2 in Patrick Wong's description was all it took to reopen the FOB. Thanks to all who contributed!

15. sirons3

sirons3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for a great video. All the talk in the world did not teach as much as your 4 minute presentation. I had my case open a minute later after fumbling 20 minutes with no success.

16. HybridAussie

HybridAussie New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there, this is my first post. Really glad I found this site. Can anyone please advise where I can source a replacement inverter for my Gen 2 Prius & installation instructions as my ride is at a stand still without it?
    Chris

Read more: INTERMITTENT ENGINE TROUBLE P0138 | PriusChat

17. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just did it. You don't really need a jeweler's screwdriver. I did it with the tip of a kitchen knife.

18. Asim Jahangir

Asim Jahangir Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fellow Enthusiasts,

I have prius 2007 of the Japanese make (140k miles). Yesterday, my keyless fob stopped working. I couldn't use it lock/unlock my car; however, it is starting the car just fine. I replaced the batteries on the fob but no avail. The small red light on the fob is shining like normal. There is no abnormal behavior in the car otherwise. Any tips on what should I check?

thanks!
    Asim

19. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How old is the 12V battery? Symptoms of a failing 12V battery seem to vary a lot from car to car. On our Prius, fob trouble was the first symptom.

20. Asim Jahangir

Asim Jahangir Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I disconnected the 12v battery terminals, checked for any rust or lead/acid accumulation (there was none), and re-connected. The FOB started working again. Not sure if I have solved the problem...