1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB battery replacement - how & when

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by john1701a, Mar 19, 2008.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry,

I reread Asim's post and now see the FOB battery has been replaced. If it was done correctly I am stumped. Is there another FOB that is acting the same way ?

2. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great post, thanks

3. J Moberly

J Moberly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How much is it to replace the keyfob and whats involved in pairing it to the ECU?

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The other day I drove the Prius for the first time since Returning from Canada on September 1. I took my recycling to the recycling center, then used the Prius to haul the Tesla's winter tires to the tire place to have them put on, and used it again to haul the summer tires back home.

The fob worked fine until I tried to open the door to drive to the tire place. Touching the handle did nothing. The Open Door button on the fob did nothing. I had to use the mechanical key. Then the car would not start and I had to insert the fob in the slot. After dropping my tires off and returning to the car, the fob worked: SKS opened the door and started the car!

I was going to come here and ask for advice, and I saw this thread. As John said on his web page, there was no little red light. I replaced the battery (I had to buy a small enough screwdriver, and I almost could not get the battery out of its impervious plastic packaging.) Now all seems to be well. When I press a button I see the little red light.

Thanks, John!!!

5. saxteacher

saxteacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to the Prius keyfob, CR2032 batteries are used in many other small electronics. I find it amusing to compare the price of a CR2032.
    At Radio Shack: $6.95 each.
    At Wal-Mart: two for $4.37.
    On eBay: two for $1.24, five for $1.79, or ten for $2.79 !

The eBay price may seem "too cheap." But don't worry; I have ordered CR2032 and other similar button-cell batteries from eBay many times, and have never had a problem with quality. It seems that so long as you buy from an eBay seller who has 99% or better positive feedback, there is no need for concern.

I buy ten for about three bucks, then I have them on hand when I need them for a computer, a child's toy, a calculator, etc.

It makes me wonder - what other commodities are there in the world where one store charges literally 20 times as much as another source, and still manages to sell plenty? :)

AllenZ likes this.
  6. unterhausen

unterhausen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my daughter just bought a blister pack of of Amazon for fairly cheap price. The time I got one from the Toyota dealer, it was $6 and it didn't last more than a year. I guess it was probably old because nobody is stupid enough to buy a $6 CR2032

Never noticed the red light, my batteries have always gone bad slowly and it was obvious that a new battery was needed because of flakiness long before it actually died

7. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2005 finally stopped recognizing my fob. Had to stick it in that slot thing. Sorry non-sks people. I had replaced once before. Ordered Chinese food, 10 minute-ok. Radio Shake was two doors down in plaza so I went there. I know I could buy cr2032 cheaper, but sales girl gave my little screw drivers and was friendly, so I walked out with working fob. It was great. Beeped my car from across parking lot. Girl at China King assured me stringbean with shrimp was exceptional good that day. Am I the man or what?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You forgot the Fortune cookie with tonight's winning lottery numbers :)

#48 JC91006, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  9. Rick's AWSOME Prius

Rick's AWSOME Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again for the info and pictures. Swapped out in no time.

10. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone having trouble with FOB battery replacement, I found this video extremely helpful (as well as a pair of rubber gloves to get a good grip so I could slide the back of the FOB casing off!)

11. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just checked my li'l red lights on my 2012 fob... the main fob's light was dark, while the spare fob's light flashed. Switched the fobs... KUDOS to John! gotta get another battery for the now-spare fob...