1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB is dead -- how do I roll up the windows?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by JeremySeanBell, Apr 4, 2022.

1. JeremySeanBell

JeremySeanBell New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I discovered this morning that my fob won't start my 2017 Prius Prime anymore. It seemed to be sort of in-and-out at first, and I managed to use it to get in and roll down the windows, but then that was it. Now I can't get it to do anything, and a little red light flashes when I press any button on the fob, so I assume that means the fob battery needs to be replaced. The local auto parts place doesn't have the right battery, so I'm going to have to order one, but meanwhile, my windows are down and I don't know what to do. I looked through the literature that came with my car, and I found this pamphlet (attached) on what to do if the fob doesn't operate properly, but the instructions don't seem to be for the Prius model that I have. First off, my shift lever doesn't have a "P" position, and second, there is definitely no clutch pedal. I didn't even know there was such thing as a stick shift EV, and it's certainly not what I have! I tried my best to approximate the instructions, without success.

I did find the physical key inside, which is how I managed to get back inside my car, but it doesn't help me turn on the car, and obviously I wouldn't want to drive around with my key in the door anyway. I did try to roll up the windows with the key in the door, but no luck there either.
    IMG_7081.jpg

2. JeremySeanBell

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm realizing now that the "AT" and "MT" are separate instructions for automatics and stick shifts, but nonetheless, these instructions are still not working for me. Also, I just checked my fob battery in a battery tester, and it shows 3v, so I'm starting to worry that the issue is something else...

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is supposed to flash, at least on my older Prius, so I suspect the fob battery is still good.

The dead-fob card instructions, or at least the nearest approximation of the AT portions, are correct for my old Prius.

Have you checked the 12V battery in the car? That would be my top suspect.

4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your 12v battery is probably low. Put a trickle charger on it. If that fails taker it to an auto parts store and have it tested. If it’s bad good luck finding a replacement as they are in short supply many places.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    99-Cent Only Store sells three ACDelco CR2032 lithium coin cells for a dollar. You can probably find them in other dollar stores as well. Try a jump start for the 12-V battery as others said as well.

[​IMG]

#5 Gokhan, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  6. JeremySeanBell

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm confused... you can jump start an EV??

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Even if the battery in the electronic key (key fob) is dead or weak, you should still be able to start the car using the passive RFID tag inside the key, which the car’s power switch (power button) can read; see the procedure on page 691 of the Owner’s Manual (PDF). For battery replacement, see pages 627–629.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. JeremySeanBell

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just tried to plug in my Prius Prime, but the charging port won't open. Apparently it locks?? I guess to prevent shady characters from coming along and.. charging my car..? I don't know what to do here and I'm really starting to freak out. Are there no failsafes here? When I found that physical key in the fob, I assumed it was for precisely this situation, but I can't seem to do anything with it. I can't even charge my own car. Please help. I really don't want to leave the windows rolled down all night.

9. JeremySeanBell

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    @Elektroingenieur, the procedure on page 691 of the Owner’s Manual says to push down the break pedal while touching the fob to the power button, which I've already tried and tried and tried...

10. JeremySeanBell

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It just occurred to me, I have the Toyota app, pared it to my car, which can supposedly start the car, right? Or at least roll the windows up, right? I've gone through every option in the app and I don't see anything useful..

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Of course. It won't start with a dead 12-V battery.

FuelMiser likes this.
  12. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dude, your 12V is dead. NOTHING ELSE WORKS WHEN THE 12V IS DEAD! You can jump start with another 12V battery, but be very careful. A better option is a Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.56.07 PM.png

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Instructions for jump-starting are around Page 703 of the owner's manual. You don't need a special device. You can jump-start it from another car's 12-V battery. Just make sure you connect positive (red) to positive and negative to negative and follow the rest of the instructions.

If you have a set of jumper (or booster) cables and a second vehicle with a 12-volt battery, you can jump-start your vehicle by following the steps below.

1. Open the hood. (→P. 585)

2. Remove the engine cover.

Pull up the both ends of the cover vertically.

3. Connect the jumper cables according to the following procedure:

i. Connect a positive jumper cable clamp to the positive (+) battery terminal on your vehicle.

ii. Connect the clamp on the other end of the positive cable to the positive (+) battery terminal on the second vehicle.

iii. Connect a negative cable clamp to the negative (−) battery terminal on the second vehicle.

iv. Connect the clamp at the other end of the negative cable to a solid, stationary, unpainted metallic point away from the 12-volt battery and any moving parts, as shown in the illustration.

v. Start the engine of the second vehicle. Increase the engine speed slightly and maintain at that level for approximately 5 minutes to recharge the 12-volt battery of your vehicle.

vi. Maintain the engine speed of the second vehicle and start the hybrid system of your vehicle by turning the power switch to ON mode.

vii. Make sure the “READY” indicator comes on. If the indicator light does not come on, contact your Toyota dealer.

viii. Once the hybrid system has started, remove the jumper cables in the exact reverse order from which they were connected.

ix. To install the engine cover, conduct the removal procedure in reverse. After installing, check that the fixed pins are inserted securely.

Once the hybrid system starts, have the vehicle inspected at your Toyota dealer as soon as possible.

#13 Gokhan, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Prime is a PHEV, not a BEV, so it can be jump started.
    As expected when the 12V battery is dead.
    As expected when the 12V battery is dead.
    This also won't work when the 12V battery is dead.

15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup! Definitely a dead 12V. A dead 12V means a dead car whether it's a gasser, a PHEV like the Prime, or a BEV. (Except in 1 or 2 rare cases with the BEV, iirc.)

As for the fob battery, they are cheap and abundant at grocery store, hardware stores, etc. They only take a minute or less to change.

You'd also need to do steps 3 & 4. But that won't help with a dead 12V which is obviously your situation.

#15 jerrymildred, Apr 5, 2022
  16. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another PP 12v battery bites the dust. I just saw a YouTube video on the dead 12v battery issue on Kia EV6. I wonder when the automaker is going to come to a sense to use the traction battery to start the car and get rid of the 12v battery altogether. Or, is it better to have separate batteries for some profound reason?

17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's because you really don't want a dead traction battery. Besides, the SOC on the traction battery isn't supposed to fall below a certain minimum to maintain life cycle, albeit lithium-metal batteries with zero excess lithium on the anode (QuantumScape is the only company trying to commercialize one) will change that.

Salamander_King likes this.
  18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I know replacing the 12v battery is way cheaper than replacing the traction battery. But, still, the common theme among the carmakers is "let the owner pay for the new 12v battery, while we keep them happy with 10yrs/150kmile traction battery warranty." I just think there are better ways since the 12v battery no longer has to turn the engine like the old cars.

Gokhan likes this.
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think a good solution would be for the 120-V wall charger to have the ability to charge the 12-V battery. This would not only eliminate the need for a jump start but also extend the life of the 12-V battery by regularly charging it during EV charging. Of course, this assumes that the owner has access to an electric outlet and/or periodically charges the traction battery. I've always found it odd that when the 120-V charger is connected, the 12-V battery is drained instead of being charged. This is a fundamental problem with the Prius Prime, and it is probably the main reason why the 12-V battery is short-lived for many owners, who mainly do short trips, use the accessories a lot, leave the 120-V charger plugged in for extended periods, etc.

#19 Gokhan, Apr 5, 2022
  20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. But just to be accurate, charging the traction battery of the PP does charge the 12v battery. Just not consistently enough to maintain the health of the 12v battery. Especially if one does only sporadic charging or keeps the charge cord plugged in for a long time (weeks) after completion of the traction battery charging.

excerpt from my comment on this thread: Hopefully, ultimate 12v battery charging system discussion on PP | PriusChat
    EVSE Charging: While the PP is plugged in with EVSE, it seems to have two levels for charging. The first is ~13.5v charging which occurs only during the time the traction battery is actively being charged. I have never seen this active charging occurring outside of the period of the traction battery is being charged, even if the EVSE is kept plugged in after the traction battery charging has finished.

[​IMG]

#20 Salamander_King, Apr 5, 2022
    luckie and Gokhan like this.