1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB Key is not detected

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by monash, Aug 23, 2013.

1. monash

monash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi ALL,
    Just wondering if anyone can suggest on the issue i have,
    Lately my smart key start acting wearied. while car is running i get sign of key is not detected, And today i was not even able to open 2010 Gen 3 with smart key and car wont start. After 15 min it start detecting and car got started.
    KEy battery is new but i just recently added another smart key with prius smart key. I am wondering its happening because interference of another key?

Suggest

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't assume that a new battery is a good battery.

3. monash

monash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did check by pushing operational buttons and was blinking red light was their/

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sure does sound like a dead fob battery.

FYI, you can always start your car, even with a fob with a dead battery, by holding the fob next to the Start button for a few seconds while pressing the brake. Then press Start.

5. monash

monash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for info,,, going to dealer see what they are saying... will update after that

6. wbray123

wbray123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is a different issue than yours, I think, but if my cell phone is in my pocket with the fob, the cell phone will sometimes prevent the car from recognizing the fob, especially if the fob is under my iphone. That has stopped the door lock from opening but I don't recall it doing anything else.

7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If someone is in your car and they have a key fob from another Prius, your car might not start and will say no key detected or if your car is running it will say no key detected but your car will continue to run. This will not happen with all other prius's fobs but there is a chance it can!

My coffee buddy has a 2010 Prius and that is what happens to him every time I ride with him, I have a 2012 Prius, we always forget but the car always remembers. We put a little metal box in his car and I put my keys in that when I ride with him works great. I have checked out about 6 Prius's from coffee buddy's and alot of cars at our local dealer no problems with any body else's Prius's, camary's, ect. Go figure. I have heard about other people that said they have had this happen. I suppose it's more likely in a two car family to be noticed. Hope this helps! :)

8. jbcarey

jbcarey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ditto here, My brother has a 2010 and I have a 2011 I had his hat in my car and i wanted to return it so I asked him for his keys and went to my car and with both fobs in my hand, my door wouldn't unlock after opening with push button on fob I also could not lock my car. I went to his car to put his hat in there the same happened with his car.
    The dual signals must cancel out the receiver.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The signal frequency or codes must be close to each other. My wife carries both her Prius and my Camry's SKS fobs around in her purse with no problems whatsoever.

SCH-I535