1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fob Key newbie

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by CLighthouse, May 16, 2018.

1. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi I just joined this forum. I need help how to post question?

Burna J likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You just did :)

Burna J and RCO like this.
  3. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    HA! LOL Thanks! Now I forgot how to post. :p

I want to ask question on why my son's 2008 Prius FOB key only works on lock and unlock but not starting car. We did the chicken dance many times.

We insert and removed four times from slot then put in slot on fifth, then open/shut six time. Swap key, putting new FOB in slot and waited for light to stop blinking. I noticed that the blink went fast blink like blink blink blink.....blink blink blink....blink blink blink several times then stopped and right away it blinked like blink..blink..blink..blink..blink..blink.. on and on. What did we do wrong, is the FOB defective or need new battery for FOB?

#3 CLighthouse, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! start with the battery. either test it, or replace it.

RCO likes this.
  5. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Right now its not working any more (it wont unlock). I told my son to try new battery. I have extra batteries and wasn't sure which one is new. I'll just buy another two batteries anyway.
    I'm so angry at car dealer that they only sold car with just ONE key. Ridiculous. Even his physical key is not precut! He can't unlock/lock the door. I worry about him leaving his car in city while delivering wine. I wonder if there is a way to have key cut?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the dealer can do anything you need. or an experienced locksmith.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    btw, if the new fob battery doesn't help, check the 12v.

8. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My son took his car to locksmith, he will have to go back for some reason. I hope they solved the problem.

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the dealer was a Toyota one, they should resolve the problem for you free of charge.

10. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Found out that the car is from State of NY Environment Dept sold to the guy that sold the car to my son.
    He took the car down to locksmith to try program the new FOB key I bought off Amazon. It doesn't work. He thinks its wrong model. I know I ordered the right model NON SKS FOB key. I contacted Amazon seller that there is no way to know what model, no sticker label on it. He said that he won't give me refund or exchange because its passed 90 days warranty. I was pissed at first it works (only locking function works). He said check battery. I changed the battery and tried it, doesn't work either. So, Locksmith ordered another FOB key for my son a week ago. Toyota FOBs.jpg
    Yesterday, he went there to pick up the FOB key from locksmith. Locksmith said it cost $70 to program it. He didn't have money left, he already spent on a new FOB. He came home and we tried to program it using chicken dance. It doesn't work!
    I noticed the blinking light is odd like the other new FOB key too. I inserted and removed original key, then open and shut door, then replaced new FOB in the slot. The light went blink blink.....blink blink blink....blink blink.... blink blink blink... over and over for like half min and stopped then blinked like regular blink. I wonder why it blinked differently at beginning. So he is going to go back to try have it program from locksmith. I told him if that doesn't work take the FOB key back.
    I have funny feeling that the NY State must have swapped key too many times. Like how many employees drove that car since 2008?!? The key my son got was falling apart, now the front cover button was torn off, exposed the chip. I had to tape it to cover the hole.

11. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Where to check the 12v? The fuse?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    under the hood, inside the fusebox by the drivers fender, there is a red jump point to jump the car. you can check it between there, and any clean metal ground.
    the instructions and drawings are in the owners manual, if you need more detail, feel free to reply.

RCO likes this.
  13. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So i just check 12v fuse to see if its not blown?
    Sadly, I don't have manual for this car.

14. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I checked only found 7.5, 10, 15, 25, 30V. I don't see 12V. I wish I have the manual. I don't have it. The car is 2008 with no smartkey.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you find the jump point under the red cap? it is not a fuse, it is a post with 12v from the battery. you can download a manual at toyota owners website.

RCO likes this.
  16. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    HEY... My son was able to program his new FOB key he bought from locksmith. It works. Too bad the physical key cost $200 to cut (the original key was lost from previous owner and the new key has no precut), can't afford it. The first FOB key I bought from Amazon is really defective and the seller refused give me refund or exchange. I'm pissed paid almost 60 bucks! The seller said it is the right key he sent me. I asked HOW did you know if its the right key because there is no label with model number on it!
    Now his original key that has problem with lock/unlock and the button were all worn out. I removed the chip and black thing from old case and put in new case. I put battery in and the tiny red light blink several times til it stopped. I tried to lock or unlock, it doesn't work but the alarm does. Do I have do something when I replaced battery? I hope the original key isn't damaged, it fell in water a month ago.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    shop around on the mechanical key, that price sounds really high!:eek:

18. CLighthouse

CLighthouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    the physical key to be cut? its awful for that price. he doesn't remember who told him the locksmith or toyota. geez

bisco likes this.