1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fob key unlock safety

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by hyhi, Jan 20, 2017.

1. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    so read somewhere about a cheap china made unlock device that was suppose to work on about 75% of the cars out there. so question is, when leaving the car and manually pressing the door lock on the left driver door I would think that does not transmit any lock code over the air waves that would allow a cheat capture device to later then unlock the prius doors.

figure though using the key flob would transmit over the air of course and thus maybe not as safe.

RCO likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't be so sure about that - locking by pressing the door contact will only work if the FOB is within range, so there must be some contact between the car and the FOB - whether a code is transmitted, I'm uncertain.

Where's a TOYOTA computer programmer when you want one?

RCO likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what if you use the mech key?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read that as him pressing the "lock" button on the inner door armrest, not the SKS touch lock sensor on the outside. But I guess it could be interpreted both ways.

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somehow that bypasses the FOB use - has to be unlocked again with the Mechanical key. Not sure about the involvement of security system or immobiliser at that point?

RCO likes this.
  6. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Not in the US. Can lock with the "mechanical" key and later unlock with SKS or pressing the fob's unlock button. In fact, the "mechanical" key is merely activating a switch for the electric door locks in most cases.

Unless your 12v battery is dead. Then, to really, truly unlock the door *mechanically* you have to pull the door handle half way out to engage the physical override mechanism before turning the key.

Not everyone seems to be aware of the physical key in the fob in case the fob battery dies. Fewer seem to know about the handle-half-way procedure if the car has the dead battery.

RCO and Absolu22 like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's odd that they do it different ways - if I lock with the mechanical key, I need the mechanical key to unlock again.

With the dead 12V battery "trick" I couldn't find reference to it in my book (or the EURO one online), so it may just be a USA special.

One other difference with USA and EURO - USA says:
    upload_2017-1-21_15-14-57.png
    BUT EURO says:
    upload_2017-1-21_15-16-24.png

RCO likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Different locking system used.

Didn't some high end UK-spec cars used to come with double locking central locking?

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the o/p is concerned about the fob, why not turn off SKS?
    It is inconvenient security for the paranoid.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, anyone who wishes to steal your FOB codes would have to be quite close. Just a few metres from the FOB/car. The signal is quite weak. If you don't notice them when you are locking the car maybe the problem is you aren't "situationally aware". ;)

If they have that device I would consider them "professional thieves", and you can't protect yourself from those. They will always find a way to get what they want. You drive a Prius. They are after much more expensive stuff. If they still want your car, let them take it. Better than getting a lead injection in the process.

alanclarkeau, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If concerned about over the air vulnerability, turning off SKS is the solution, though. They cannot hijack it over the air if the car is not "listening".

RCO likes this.
  12. au_prius

au_prius Australian Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's important that you put these sorts of risks into context.

As others have pointed out here, professional thieves can probably defeat most car security systems. They are very unlikely to want our Priuses and are much more likely to steal expensive cars to order - e.g., high end Porsche, BMW M3.

The vast majority of modern cars are stolen because the thief manages to steal the key from
    within your house, office etc., due to modern cars being impossible to 'hot wire' (except perhaps for the abovementioned pro thieves). You are better off hiding your keys in a safe place than worrying about some device that supposedly defeats car security systems. Same goes with people intercepting signals -- modern cars encrypt the codes and use 'rolling codes' which mean that even if a thief intercepts your code, it's useless because it's only used once.

There is some credence to the idea that a thief can use a signal amplifying device to remotely unlock your car from a very far distance. Even if they managed this, in the Prius (and other cars with keyless entry / start) the physical key still needs to be inside the car to start, so it's unlikely that they can drive off with your car.

My local police car theft stats show that people still do silly things like forgetting to lock their cars, leaving valuables in clear sight and leaving windows open. (Speaking of open windows, I notice that after I switch the ignition off, my Gen 4 displays a message "Window open" if I open the driver side door if a window is ajar. Very clever!)

If all else fails, that's why you have insurance....

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  13. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Can you explain the handle-half-way procedure? Is that something you do intuitively without thinking bout it?

I didn't see anything in the manual.

IMG_3298.PNG

alanclarkeau and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of the 'handle half way' procedure, is it gen 4 only?

15. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'll take it back until I can find an official reference or replicate again. I promise I didn't make it up, but the information may not be accurate. I have anecdotal experience from two occasions. First, my 2005 was totaled and when I went to the storage lot to retrieve personal property, the 12v battery had died because of the rear hatch light (rear-ended). Second, I drove my 2016 from Denver to Houston and was stranded on the way after stopping for dinner; the car had been a showroom vehicle and when they re-connected the 12v they didn't tighten the nut and it had worked loose during the first half of the trip. I'd driven a Prius for 11 years by then, so I knew about the physical key in the fob but it didn't open the door (so that I could pop the hood). After about 15 seconds of panic, I recalled something about the handle itself and tried holding the door handle about a 1/2-inch out while turning the key and it worked that time. Maybe it was a fluke and not necessary? But it let me get in, pop the hood, and discover the loose battery cable.

I remembered reading about it back when I had a Gen2, so (if true) it's not new to Gen4. I couldn't find it in the online PDF manuals, but here's a 2007 PC thread where someone else mentions it:

How to open doors or just the hood when 12 volt battery is dead | PriusChat

There's disagreement there as to whether you actually need to pull the handle part way first, or if it's more of a matter of turning the key far enough ("completely horizontal"). To be honest, as this point I can't remember how far I turned the key in my past experiences.

#15 wrprice, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some people have a hard time turning the key, maybe pulling on the handle helps.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Yes, touch the door handle twice to double lock.
    Another (UK only ?) thing, if you unlock the door with the mechanical key the alarm will go off within seconds if you don't start the car or use the sks key to disarm.

RCO likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The double lock.... does that disable something?

For us, it's simply just a confirmation check.

Oh that's interesting. We don't have that feature here, at least within the Prius lineup.

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think they meant to unlock all doors. That was the default on my en 4. Since quite often put things in the back seat and only have one door SKS, I changed it to automatically unlock all doors with one placement of fingers behind the handle.

EDIT: Oops I was thinking unlocking, not locking.

#19 Prodigyplace, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  20. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Disables the interior door handles and locks so that if a thief breaks a window they can't open the door, they have to climb through the window to actually get into the car.

RCO and Tideland Prius like this.