1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB only halfway programmed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JOnnay, Jun 20, 2014.

1. JOnnay

JOnnay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey folks - I have a 2004 Prius, and when I bought it, the FOB worked in my pocket and I didn't have to remove it.

The last couple of months, the battery has been low on the FOB, and then two days ago, it wouldn't start the car up in my pocket nor would it wirelessly unlock or lock my doors. To start my car, I had to insert the FOB. However, it would still lock and unlock the doors with the press of the button.

So last evening I bought a new battery and installed it. The wireless door lock/unlock works again, but still, I have to insert the FOB to start the car. I checked the switch under the steering wheel, and it is in the correct 'out' position....

Could use some input on how to COMPLETELY program the FOB without spending $137.50 at my local Toyota dealership - perhaps point me to the right direction?

Thank you in advance :)

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check the SKS switch under the steering wheel and make sure it is not turned off.

I just saw you already did that. Try turning it on and off a few times and see if that makes a difference. If not, follow bisco's good advice below.

#3 usnavystgc, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check for stuck buttons, And check the 12v.

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would try to use your "2nd" fob to see if the functions SKS function works. Also the battery that you replaced might not be a good battery, many have reported buying batteries that are not good.

If you don't have a 2nd FOB, here is your chance to buy another one.