1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB Program ? from 07 to 08

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CWB, Feb 14, 2022.

1. CWB

CWB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi.

I bought a 2008 Gen 2 after already having a 2007 Gen 2. The 07 is going to be parted out to fix and update my 08.

Can the 07 Fobs be reprogrammed for the 08?

Thanks,
    C

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It depends. If both cars do not have smart key (SKS) then you can program the "new" car with the used fobs with no problems and the remote door lock functions should work.

SKS car has small black button on the exterior door handles and tailgate release, silver toyota symbol on the back of the fobs, and a button under the dash/steering column to turn the system off (usually 2 buttons- 1 SKS, and 1 TPMS). Non SKS car has black symbol on the fob and no buttons on the car.

If one car is SKS and the other isn't, then the only thing you can do is program the immobilizer (putting the fob in the dash slot)- the remote functions will never work.

If both cars are SKS then the only way to program a used fob to a car (for full SKS function) is to get a "seed" code along with techstream to reset the security ecu and reprogram all the fobs. You need a dealer, or a good locksmith, or your own techstream and a purchase from a (questionable) website in Europe (to get the seed code). Otherwise you can just program the immobilizer for the dash slot.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. CWB

CWB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks.

Both are SKS, so I would need to talk to a dealer, which I feared as the most expensive.

My 2007 that I am going to part out has 2 keys, my 08 has just one.

Figured I couldn't catch a break :)

Thank.