1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOB RFID Blocking Bag?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coyote2, Feb 27, 2018.

1. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Try to think how likely it would be that thieves would use this method on your old Prius? Value of stolen 2005 Prius is probably so low that they wouldn’t bother. If you’re thinking that they would steel your stuff inside it you can turn the SKS system off by just using the button under the steering wheel. But breaking a window is a lot easier method for them anyways.

But of course if you are really worried about this you can turn the SKS system “permanently” off by either making some simple wiring modifications or simply by just not registering SKS part of the key to the car.

3. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thankfully here in Berkeley there are plenty of cars they'd rather steal (but that isn't the the most secure anti-theft protection). I am also thinking they might steal the stuff inside (like the Prius-owning tech columnist in that article).

Half the cars on my block are Prius'; it wouldn't be much effort for a pair with that inexpensive equipment to move an amplifier next to each house, and have their accomplice try to open doors.

Does that SKS button under the steering wheel disable keyless entry and require me to use the tiny key? (If so, since I've got carpal tunnel and can't safely always use the tiny key, can I get a normal doorkey made?)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that article is 2 years old, and it hasn't been a problem worth obsessing over. i have insurance, that's enough.