1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fob with RFID chip only

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dtsexpert, Sep 13, 2019.

1. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi
    I bought an used 2006 Prius with 1 fob that only has the RFID chip inside and the little key.
    I bought new fob and able to clone the RFID, also cut to duplicate the little key.
    Have to use the little key to lock/unlock the car and the fob to star/stop the car. No problem but a bit inconvenience.
    Since I don’t have the original board for lock/unlock the car remotely, what choices I have to get my new fob programmed?
    Is my only choice to see the Toyoyta dealer???
    Thx

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I'd love to learn how to clone an RFID for my Prius... Can you tell us how?

As for getting the lock/unlock to work on the FOB, for $25 on Ebay you can get a knock-off mini-VCI cable that plugs into your OBD2 port and it comes with a copy of Toyota Techstream software that runs on older Windows laptops as long as it doesn't have access to the internet to ask Toyota if you should be shut down... And in the security section of Techstream there is a way to clear and reseed the FOBs registered to the vehicle's immobilizer.

Of course Toyota only offers this service for electronic locksmiths or dealerships who pay the monthly fee for access the security section.

But... Years ago there was a guy on here with firsthand experience and a link to a service in the EU that for around $35 would do the mathematical calculation of your vin# to create an access code that allows you to clear and reseed your fobs via Toyota techstream without paying Toyota the monthly fee.

I could dig that up in my old messages if you're interested? I certainly would appreciate help with doing this with my Prius as the challenge has always been a bit over my head.

3. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    PriusCamper
    Thanks much for your response.
    My apologies for using wrong term to confuse.
    When I say “clone”, I meant to do the chicken dance method to program the chip for start/stop the car.
    The Techstream method seems a bit beyond my technical capabilities:)

I found Luscious Garage in San Francisco can fully program an used fob for $100. My plan is to either buy an used Chrome from ebay for around $60 or to sacrifice the spare Chrome fob of my other 2008 Prius. $100 charge, it is still a bit reasonable compared to what the dealer would charge for the this kind of service,
    I am newbie therefore I cannot post link
    In case anyone need link, pls google “luscious garage full service programming key”
    Once again, thanks for your help.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Luscious is your best bet short of Techstream+seed lookup. Check, but I'd guess the dealer price would be $400+

5. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Just contact Luscious Garage in San Francisco, they said they are no longer program used fob :(
    I now end up 2 used chrome fob that I don’t know what to do with them
    If any experts here live in Bay Area that know how to program used fob, kindly pls pm
    Thanks all

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ever think of going to a Toyota dealer?

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota dealers don't do used fobs. Try Art's Automotive in Berkeley.